NEWS : Ingame HUD System

Bandit LOAF said:
From the Paul Hughes interview: couple of months in we had to rename the game as (I beleive) there was already another P2 in development over in Austin. A few months further into development it was renamed P2 - The Darkening and we built some 3D versions of some of the ships that were in Erin's original. (https://www.wcnews.com/articles/p2paulhughes.shtml)

As I say, there's no doubt that it spent time as just 'The Darkening'... but it both started and ended as a Privateer sequel.

Ok, thats interesting, and also weird! Because what I dont understand then is that Erin and Paul seems to definitely contradict each other. Do you have anything else? I mean they both say different things. Which person worked on Privateer first? or most? Though its still weird they should have such an apparently different understanding of the events.

<snipped for brevity>

edit: you guys can move this if you want, its kind of off topic...

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I wasnt really. I havent read everything as I said and Im not really that bothered, thats why I asked since what you said seemed to contradict what I read in that interview. The reason Im asking is just because I was interested to know why. Erin was the big boss man i figured, so what I read from him, which to me was clear I assumed was accurate, I wouldnt need to check anything else unless I somehow misinterpreted him.

My guess would be that he's thinking of the game as of some particular point -- probably the film shoot, as much of the game's "universe" was locked in at this point. As you can see from my second post, he went to England to make Privateer 2. Maybe he considers the Privateer 2: Darkside project a different game. The studio was bought by EA specifically for that project, though, and the team and much of the concept stayed the same... there was an engine shift (from RealSpace to BRender) which might be enough to constitute different projects in his mind... though that happened sometime after it'd become The Darkening.

You should also consider the context, though -- Erin is specifically trying to explain why Privateer 2 is different from other Wing Commander games in his 'speech'.

Well, sort of developed by the same person according to what I understood from that interview. But anyway even if it was, and Im not bothered if it was or wasnt since to me its irrelevant, imagine if the maker of Doom wanted to make a game and wanted to make it Doom-like, that doesnt mean it IS Doom. And lets say down the road they decide to specifically connect it to Doom later on for whatever reason. That still wouldnt make it, originally, a Doom game. To me that would be the backwards of the fact. But if it were, surely that would mean that every first person shooter developed by the Doom creator is a Doom game, just because they wanted to make it Doom-like, right?

Yes and no. Consider, though, that the big ID characters who went off to develop their own DooM-style shooters (John Romero, in particular) ended up shredded by reviews specifically because they *weren't* developing DooM (or Quake ).

It's important to note that 'after the fact' in this case, though, doesn't mean 'after the game was released' -- it means after some work was done on it. ' They didn't wake up a week later and decided to add Privateer 2 to the name -- they chose to do this before it was published.

(Which, speaking to your earlier analogy, is exactly what happened with Quake II -- which went through quite a bit of its development life under a different name... and this is apparent in the finished project, although it's certainly accepted by Quake fans.)

I mean, Chris Carter developed Freelancer, but that doesnt mean it is or was necessarily a "Privateer game" at any stage just because they had wanted to make it Privateer-like. Does that make sence?

Well, first you're thinking of Chris Roberts... and second, he didn't develop FreeLancer. FL was completely retooled after Chris left Digital Anvil, and has little in common with his original concept (nor did he do the original Privateer, though...). That said, what's the number one criticism of FreeLancer? How it stands up to the original Privateer -- specifically because it was the same guys working on it (in the public mind, anyway).

Bandit LOAF said:
Trademark? That's even less relevant -- it would be very hard to argue an expected confusion between a disk utility and a video game.
Well apparently, the lawyers thought otherwise. Maybe they should have gone to you instead. Oh wait.. they didn't want a laysuit.

Well apparently, the lawyers thought otherwise. Maybe they should have gone to you instead. Oh wait.. they didn't want a laysuit.

... and you're back to step one -- you haven't proved that anything like this happened, you simply keep saying it.

Unregistered said:
Mr LOAF - you seem incapable of reading United States TRADEMARK office records

that's the most assinine assertion i've read.... in a long time

they owned the trademarks to Descent, the needed to avoid infringing on the compression software trademark

put two and two togeather

then contractual reasons had it "Conflict: FreeSpace" in europe

you're just a jackass - i don't know why i try to talk sense into you - it's like trying to teach a down's syndrome child to do quantum physics: you just don't have enough brain power to handle the truth
Anyone else get a picture of this kid being 14 years old with terminal acne?

I visualize him as teary and red faced, clenching his fists tighter and tighter as the debate continues.

Unregistered said:
loaf proves that he';s a total fucking retard who doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground and should shoot himself

So... what does that make you? Because, you know, LOAF is alot better at this than you are.

Not to get off subject or back on to it but Im kinda curious is the HUD gonna have a added indicator to show if your cloaked or not. I know its not needed at this point in the prologue. Just curious.

Bandit LOAF said:
... and you're back to step one -- you haven't proved that anything like this happened, you simply keep saying it.

Well let's see... we have a trademark that precedes the game.. We also have a review about said Freespace http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1563/is_n2_v16/ai_20220053. If that doesn't matter then I don't see why we can't have a desktop utility called "Wing Commander"

I'd say the ball is in your court now.

As I already pointed out, there are several other products called Wing Commander, including a movie, another video game and a recent novel. Since they're all about air warfare instead of fighting aliens, there's no trademark issue.

I'm not sure you understand what you need to prove here. No one doubts that there's a Freespace disk utility -- the issue is whether or not that mattered to Interplay.

MajorCamKollent said:
Hmmm, I wonder if someone should make a forum for just bashing Descent, Freespace, and Descent: Freespace.

Now, now... the original Descent was a fine game.

After this whole "discussion," I just have to chuckle at that.

You know what is crazy, I had forgotten what this thread was orginially about until Stone's post.

ChrisReid said:
It's fairly disingenuous to post as an Unregistered user to make yourself look anonymous Scooby.

In all fairness, I really don't think it is Scooby posting as unregistered. The guy writing doesn't sound like Scooby at all.

And no, it isn't me either. :)

Sphynx said:
In all fairness, I really don't think it is Scooby posting as unregistered. The guy writing doesn't sound like Scooby at all.

And no, it isn't me either. :)

Well, I know it's definitely not you, because the post didn't originate from your computer. That's nice that you don't think your friend lacks the guts to attach his name to stuff like this, but it is in fact someone posting from Scooby's computer. And I doubt his mom has much invested in this thread.

That being said, only the two most recent Unregistered posts are from Scooby. The others were from some random jerk two thousand miles away, and Scooby was just trying to ride his coattails.

Unregistered said:
Edx - drop it before he bans you - this is The World According to BanditLOAF - anyone who disagrees with him gets banned.

I couldn't care less what the argument is about, but that statement is true enough.

McGruff said:
I couldn't care less what the argument is about, but that statement is true enough.

That's kind of an odd thing to say, after it was already refuted both in the thread and in the practice of the thread.

And by odd I mean stupid.

I think the idea that we ban people for disagreeing with me is something of a concept fallacy. In fact, it's the other way around: As an intelligent user and someone with experience as an administrator, I generally agree with the reasons for which we ban people.

Added to that, the simple fact that I'm still the object of your elaborate conspiracy fantasies months after stepping down simply confirms my earlier theories -- the upset user is looking for someone to blame over a legitimate reason to explain his banning.

Back