NEWS: Ingame Cutscenes

Tolwyn

Vice Admiral
For this week's update, the Wing Commander Saga team would like to showcase one of our in-game cutscenes.

The following series of screenshots illustrates the "fleet jumping" cutscenes that are familiar to Wing Commander fans and that will play a transitional role in Saga's story, as well.

Good stuff any updates on upcoming episodes?

It is still a question how we will release the game. Right now 20 out of 40 missions have been created, most of them have been outfitted with the new autopilot. You have to understand, that we have to script autopilot flyby scenes for each mission individually due to some cutscene code bugs we've run into. Plus we could use a few more voice actors...

We are also working on a Prologue update, which will add
- autopilot flyby
- proper enviroment mapping support
- multiplayer

Will you post a video of this scene?
Yeah, granted this makes a great flipbook could we see it in motion?

I'll see what I can come up with. :)

It is still a question how we will release the game. Right now 20 out of 40 missions have been created, most of them have been outfitted with the new autopilot. You have to understand, that we have to script autopilot flyby scenes for each mission individually due to some cutscene code bugs we've run into. Plus we could use a few more voice actors...

We are also working on a Prologue update, which will add
- autopilot flyby
- proper enviroment mapping support
- multiplayer

I'll see what I can come up with. :)

Thanks... By the way, the episode mode release wouldn't be a bad idea...

I wouldn't mind de waiting on this, just for the quality of the game you're making; but everybody would agree with me in the fact that we would love to get our hand on this ASAP

Looking good, guys! :D

The encoding quality doesn't seem too bad. I know you guys mentioned using Theora (VP3+Ogg) for the cutscenes before releasing the prologue. Is Theora better supported within FS2 than say, the open source XviD? Just wondering, as although I haven't been keeping up with its development, I always assumed that XviD was a more mature (and thus more efficient) codec than Theora and I know that you can mux Ogg with XviD, but perhaps the resulting streams within the .avi container do not integrate well within FS2?

Anyway, no problem as Theora seems to be doing a decent job for Saga's cutscenes so far.

Cheers,

Bryn

I've encoded the cutscene with xvid actually :)

Theora codec is actually more efficient than xvid, but FS2 has several limitations including max resolution of 640*480.

just to clear up some misunderstanding with the news update on the front page: this is not a cgi clip, but ingame footage, where game engine sets several limitations :)

Just nitpicking on WC continuity. Aint WC ships supposed to jump independently and keep some distance while doing it to not risk beeing a anihalated if exiting in the same spot.

But apart from that it just looks great :)

Aint WC ships supposed to jump independently and keep some distance while doing it to not risk beeing a anihalated if exiting in the same spot.

More like not exceeding certain velocity (overshooting jump node or being annihilated during the jump sequence)

Just nitpicking on WC continuity. Aint WC ships supposed to jump independently and keep some distance while doing it to not risk beeing a anihalated if exiting in the same spot.

But apart from that it just looks great :)
That's how it is in the books to make dramatic points, but as far as I remember all of the in-game cutscenes showed the whole fleet jumping at the same time. Continuity? Who needs that...

Back