New cockpits!

Eder

Mr. Standoff
I came up with a couple of new cockpits last week and imported them into the engine today. We're now close to having a unique cockpit for each flyable ship, so that's probably what I'll end up doing (but probably not in time to get them all before Ep 4... there's 4 or 5 to go). Anyway, I'll just update this thread when there's a new one.

Here they are, in some particularly uninspired screenshots from the Sim, because I'm too lazy to mess with any Ep 4 missions to make them use these ships. :p

Suggestions for the Talon's cockpit are welcome! Did SWC have any cool looking ones? We could use more SWC references, and I think the Hornet there looked kinda like the Talon around the cockpit area, but I've never seen an interior view of it.

Yeah, when Ep 4 comes out we'll update everything so that the Hornet and Arrow no longer re-use other ships' cockpits in the simulator.

well, I'm playing SWC lately and the cockpits are good in my opinion, but not sure if they would look good for other ships...

Every ship in SWC seems kinda weird looking if you compare them with the old WC1 ones.

I think there was a Talon cockpit in privateer, isn't it? or maybe I'm wrong....

Anyway, if you want I can take some screenshots of SWC.

Well, the thing about SWC is that its ships were re-used in a lot of other projects, including Priv and Armada. And, on top of that, its ships reused a lot of parts between each other. So, the SWC Hornet has more or less the same cockpit shape as the Talon (SWC Gratha) - that's why SWC Hornet interior shots would be really useful.

(no Talon cockpit in Privateer, I'm afraid... the Talon wasn't flyable there)

The cockpits are most beautiful, especially the Hornet cockpit.

In the holovid section of the site is a video about SWC first mission, you get plenty of cockpit views of the Hornet there. Though I suppose the quality is maybe not high enough to make out all details.
Here

Last edited by a moderator:
well, I'm playing SWC lately and the cockpits are good in my opinion, but not sure if they would look good for other ships...

Every ship in SWC seems kinda weird looking if you compare them with the old WC1 ones.

I think there was a Talon cockpit in privateer, isn't it? or maybe I'm wrong....

Anyway, if you want I can take some screenshots of SWC.

There isn't a Talon cockpit in Privateer, unless there is some unused file hidden in the game.

Personally, I think a weird-looking cockpit would fit a Talon just fine, as none of the Privateer cockpits looked like standard Confed fighter cockpits.

Gorgeous as always Eder! Although you should be less lazy, I'd love to see some of those Ep4 shots :)

Hornet cockpit:

Scimitar cockpit:

If I can finish the mission of saving that transport from Bhurack I'll post the raptor one

Thanks!

Heh, they didn't try very hard to make the cockpits match the ship exteriors, did they? :p

Thanks!

Heh, they didn't try very hard to make the cockpits match the ship exteriors, did they? :p

doesn't seem they did heh.

I prefer the old designs myself. The swc ones are a bit ugly....

anyway I got the other 2 cockpits:

The raptor:

and the Rapier:

Hope this helps :)

Hope this helps :)
It does, thanks a lot for those! (Though, wow, they really don't match the exteriors at all. Maybe the Scim's cockpit would look more Talon-ish than the Hornet's...)

The Hornet is at last restored her lasers. I salute you!
Sorry to disappoint, but that's actually a bug with the VDU, the guns are still neutrons and fixing this VDU is on our to-do list. :p

That's pretty much exactly how I imagined the Talon's cockpit would look (except most Talon owners wouldn't have sprung for the leather interior)
Yeah, I'm thinking of using the SWC Scimitar and maybe an Armada ship as a basis for this....

Here is the Broadsword... I tried to stay true to the original cockpit while making it feel big and roomy compared to Standoff's other cockpits.

The new cockpits are well done. The Arrow seams a bit empty without the displays showing something but thats ok.
Mostly I like the Broadswords cockpit. It looks big, fitting to a bomber of its size.

The new cockpits are well done. The Arrow seams a bit empty without the displays showing something but thats ok.
Quarto was just telling me about that yesterday... seems I forgot to add the displays. I usually base the texture on a screenshot of the original game, but this time I extracted a bitmap directly from Armada's data files instead (and the displays are stored separately). :p I'll probably get around to fixing it but I think I should finish the other meshes first.

Back