Never played WC2

No, just Iceman and maybe another, but we don´t have the name.
Another? (You see, I've never played Prophecy) And I was speaking figuratively with the slicing and dicing. Do you mean that Iceman was captured and tortured?

He ejected in his pod, then was retrieved by the Kilrathi, they had some fun (killing-slicing-etc ), then they released the pod with him in pieces in it and found by Blair, IIRC

MAN.:(
I'm suprised that Iceman would eject. He seemed to be fueled by vengence for the destruction of his homeworld.
Iceman after he kills a fighter
That's one for Vega 9!
I figured he would rather die than be captured by the kilirathi.

Ignore the homeworld drivel in the last post. Just checked claw marks online at Black Lance. Iceman is from British Columbia. Me go bed now. :)

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Maniac was sent to the psych ward onboard the Austin after SM2.
Hmm, I thought it was onboard the 'Claw. Oh, well. He was still crazy in SM2 as his suggestion about the ESK-5 explosives shows.

Casey mentions that he [Iceman] dies...
I take it you meant Hawk. ;)

Originally posted by junior
Remember that Blair wasn't grounded. He was transferred to a different, less important, branch.
In-system security. I don't think it's a branch of military service, more like the paramiltary/militia you see in Privateer.

B'Shriss is fairly near Gwynedd.
You have to admit, though, that this is speculation. Of course, the Kilrathi practice you refer to supports this idea.

Originally posted by Templar
Ignore the homeworld drivel in the last post. Just checked Claw Marks online at Black Lance. Iceman is from British Columbia.
You were almost right (Vega VII, not Vega IX), and it was probably a reference to where he lived, not where he was born: Angry Iceman.

Originally posted by Wedge009
I take it you meant Hawk. ;)

Not in that case. Hawk asks Casey if he knows how his father died, and Casey says

"Yeah, he was flying patrol in the B'Shriss system when the Kilrathi jumped him."

That is what LOAF is referring to.

Hmm, I thought it was onboard the 'Claw. Oh, well. He was still crazy in SM2 as his suggestion about the ESK-5 explosives shows.

He went crazy in SM1, was in sickbay for most of SM2 and was then transferred to the Austin. The Austin was (according to the WC1/2 guide) a better home for him as it possessed complete psych facilities instead of just a bed for him.

In-system security. I don't think it's a branch of military service, more like the paramiltary/militia you see in Privateer.

Ehh, I'm pretty sure it's a branch of the military -- since Blair and Shadow (who's a Naval reservist) are there. Perhaps the Confed equivalent of the Coast Guard. It might make sense to draft someone from a private militia for military service (as with Flash)... but not the other way around.

It might make sense to draft someone from a private militia for military service, but not the other way around.
I'm getting my terminology mixed up. Burrows refers to the militia in Gemini as insystem security - I was thinking of it as a government sanctioned security force (police), not as a private organisation. Is this what you mean by Coast Guard?

I tend too look at it as Insys is part of Confed but designed for the patrolling of backwater systems etc.. and not really working on the war but keeping citizens in check etc

and the militia basically just your local police force

I always thought of Insys as being similar to the Coast Guard. They're a service branch, but mainly concerned with peacekeeping/security of the Inner Territories.

[Edit] Oops, that's pretty much what LOAF said a couple pf posts down. :)

Best, Raptor

Ah, but where does that leave Home Defense? Doesn't HD and InSys have the same role basically?

A *militia* (or HD squadron) would be a privately funded group which the government supports... the group we see in WC2 is more like the WC Coast Guard, a government funded/run armed forces branch.

A *militia* (or HD squadron) would be a privately funded group which the government supports... the group we see in WC2 is more like the WC Coast Guard, a government funded/run armed forces branch.

if it's like the u.s. coast guard in war time it falls under the navy
it is possible under this idea that the millitary might transfer someone like Blair at the time to coast guard to get him out of the way. in the opening to wc2 it looks like that is what the admin is doing.

I think of Insys more along the lines of those guys in WC: Armada, the people you assign to systems on a permanant basis (like Blair). The Milita is more like the police force, which is why they are so aggressive in their contraband searches. Back on the subject of Armada, do any of you still play it online?

Originally posted by Templar
I'm suprised that Iceman would eject. He seemed to be fueled by vengence for the destruction of his homeworld.
I figured he would rather die than be captured by the kilirathi.
Iceman was fueled by vengeance, but he wasn't insane - he knew that he could do more damage if he survived than if he was dead :p. Plus, by this time, he wasn't as vengeance-driven as he had been at the start of WC1 - his daughter from his first marriage had been recovered, and then he got married again and Lance was born. All in all, he had plenty of reasons to risk ejection even if there was a chance he'd be captured.

Also, note that Iceman probably had a gun, and may have hoped to gain control of the ship that picked him up.

Originally posted by Penguin

That is what the admiral is doing.

He's getting rid of what he veiws as a problem. Namely Blair. Send him to work for insys and away from the fleet.

Coast Guard is part of the department of the treasury. They are a policing organization but during times of war they becaome part of the navy and are meant to free up the navy's assests from homeland security. Thats a pretty good analogy of what insys does.

Back