Network???

Hey,
I've been using a P166 with 16 MB RAM as a "Wing Commander" computer of sorts to play some of the older games, and I just bought another one for pretty damn cheap with the intention of setting up a network between the two to play Armada's "Proving Grounds"...
The only problem is I have pretty much no experience with networking, LOL, and was wondering if anybody could help me out setting this thing up?

Thanks

Never managed to play the Proving Grounds extension, but all networking must be done locally, there's no Internet play or anything like that. Something about a null modem might help. I don't know much about old DOS networking either.

Assuming they both have serial ports, just get yourself a null modem cable (or look up on the internet how to modify a standard serial cable). Basically, it's just a serial cable with the input pins on one end leading to the output pins on the other.

Originally posted by Corsair(pilot)
Hey,
I've been using a P166 with 16 MB RAM as a "Wing Commander" computer of sorts to play some of the older games, and I just bought another one for pretty damn cheap with the intention of setting up a network between the two to play Armada's "Proving Grounds"...
The only problem is I have pretty much no experience with networking, LOL, and was wondering if anybody could help me out setting this thing up?
Thanks

Assuming you got a network card in all machines you need dos drivers for them.
In the past you just needed a file called ipx.com and that was it. more recent cards need a more complicated mechanism. First you need 3 files:

* LSL.com (many versions exist. Newer ones need more memory, older ones might not work with all cards)
* IPXODI.com
* some special driver for your card that can be named anything. For example:
An16.com or
1208ODI.com
Most got the string 'ODI' somewhere in the name.

Finally you need a file "net.cfg"
that tells the drivers about the details of the network you got. An examlple file from me:

link driver 1208ODI
frame ETHERNET_802.3
protocol IPX 0 Ethernet_802.3

That config file is the worst part in the procedure as if your DOS disk doesn't have a good sample file finding out the (non standard) keywords in there can be a nightmare. All in all setting up a running network can be about as troublesome as getting Privateer 1 to work.

Hope I could help a bit.

Back