Nephilim

Happy

Spaceman
nephilum

I'm sure that people have already discussed this before, but why did the nephilum start speaking english?
when they first showed up they spoke thier own language, then they learned english, and then they spoke it. obvilously i understand why it is important for them to understand english, but why would they talk to each other in english.
they would have to to taunght u.
but why would they speak in english about the space station near dula 7 in english?

Okay, people, one more time: there's no 'u' in 'Nephilim'. It's a real word, and there's no 'u' in the pronunciation or spelling. Someday I'm going to locate the phantom u-generation sphere and destroy it...

Even if the game didn´t explain it, it´s just a game, it´s not real, that´s why they call it science FICTION.

Re: nephilum

Originally posted by Happy
I'm sure that people have already discussed this before, but why did the nephilum start speaking english?
.....they spoke thier own language.... obvilously i understand why it is important for them to understand english.....they would have to to taunght u...

Personally, I'm still waitin' for *this* guy to start WRITING in English...:rolleyes:

Actually, we probably haven't discussed this, or at least not so long as I've been around.
Why?
Well, why exactly would we need to? The Midway has scientists who are capable of cracking all sorts of information about the Nephilim (such as the contents of the transmission that Finley shows to Casey). Why wouldn't the Nephilim be able to do the same? The fact that they bother to install translation software so that they can taunt Confed pilots merely appears to back up what little information on their culture that we can pick up from the game.

Originally posted by Hoops
Happy: Go play WCP again and pay attention this time. It's all explained.

it's explained why they start speaking english?
i think not.
i really don't care why, i just thought i'd point out the obvious.

well if they actually are speaking english to each other (i do not recall this) then the answer is simple, same reason the cats spoke english to each other becasue the gamer doesnt understrand kilrathi or nephilim.

Its like Hunt for Red October the movie at first they are speaking Russian then the camare zooms in and they suddenly speak English its just so the poeple watching the movie understand.

it's explained why they start speaking english?
i think not.
i really don't care why, i just thought i'd point out the obvious.

Actually, it is, sort of. They say that the aliens have adapted to our language. You'd figure they would still talk amongst themselves in their own language though.

Originally posted by Ladiesman^

Actually, it is, sort of. They say that the aliens have adapted to our language. You'd figure they would still talk amongst themselves in their own language though.

...it's what's called a "dramatic convention": Something filmmakers concede to the viewer, so the work can be more easily understood by the viewer, without spoiling the "illusion" of the fact that this is just a movie/play/TV show, etc.

That's why WWII movies had Germans speaking English w/ a German accent: The viewer could understand what was being said, yet the German accent reminded the viewer that these guys were the Nazis. Likewise when you hear a character's "voiceover" in a movie and their lips ain't moving: You are then clued in to the fact that these are the character's thoughts, not their spoken words.

etc., etc. ...

Why would they speak in English about the space station near Dula 7?
IIRC, Finley had decoded the transmission, which may have included translation. And even if it didn't, they'd be speaking English for the benefit of the player. Remember all the other times the Kilrathi spoke English to each other in FMV cutscenes in WC3.

Originally posted by Ghost
Don´t be Stupid.
I know it's not my place to say as much, but I think you should relax on these remarks. I can't recall much constructive posts from you lately.

Too late, I asked a stupid question...
Seems to be a legitimate question to me...

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Someday I'm going to locate the phantom u-generation sphere and destroy it...
True. Or you could just change the thread heading like someone did with that other, ancient, 600+ post thread about the Nephilim which originally had "Nephilem". :) To be fair, I think the subtitles in the FMV spelt it "Nephilem" as well.

Originally posted by Preacher
I'm still waitin' for *this* guy to start WRITING in English...
That's a bit harsh, not everyone's native language is English. Although, I had a hard time understanding the question at first too.

Originally posted by junior
The fact that they bother to install translation software so that they can taunt Confed pilots merely appears to back up what little information on their culture that we can pick up from the game.
An interesting idea, but I don't think this was what actually happen. The Nephilim warlord was obviously capable of speaking Blair's name in the wormhole tower, so it would be reasonable to guess that the rest would also be able to pick up English. IIRC, they also have something of a hive mind.

Plus what Preacher said about "dramatic convention".

Yeah, the subtitles in Prophecy do spell it wrong once (with an 'e')... but I'm not sure where the 'u' came from.

(It's not the original posters fault... I keep seeing it *everywhere*! There's no u in team! Or Nephilim!)

Originally posted by Wedge009

I know it's not my place to say as much, but I think you should relax on these remarks. I can't recall much constructive posts from you lately.

And if by constructive posts you mean:
-Oh Yeah, Good Question!
-Naked women in video games kills the fantasy (or something like that)
- :)
- :(
-Good idea!

Yes,you are right ;)

They were speaking English because they wanted the Centrax on Dula VII to be captured. Remember? "And then they let you find me."

Originally posted by Ladiesman^

They probably have something like the universal translator from ST. Then they'd be talking to each other, but you could still understand it (but then you still hear them speaking in their own language from time to time, i guess they could turn it off if they wanted.) The Nephilim may have learned some English from the Kilrathi, who had to have records of how to speak English.

Originally posted by Wedge009

I don't think that offering criticism like that requires you to have any special status around here. In fact, it was rather appropriate.

Back