Nephilim vs. Steltek

Ed, interesting point.

However, aren't the bugs trying to destroy both confed and? Or do they plan to enslave and turn both into "aligned"?

IIRC, The Kilrathi made the first aggressive moves on the Mantu, but the mantu were able to successfuly block the cats to a stalemate. Quite embarassing for the cats, so they spun a web of lies that cast the mantu as this uber-bad-ass kill-all, unstoppable race.

Isn't that how it went?

yeah, the Kilrathi fought the Mantu to a standstill, then the war ended in a draw. I'll look in my Prophecy manual and check it out further

Iceman16 said:
yeah, the Kilrathi fought the Mantu to a standstill, then the war ended in a draw. I'll look in my Prophecy manual and check it out further

More that the Mantu rolled over the Kilrathi, then retreated - I'd say it was less a 'stand-still' than the 'stand-off' noted in the manuals, as in 'nobody won, and the Mantu seemed to lose interest and left'. That's also where the whole 'aggrandizing' thing is mentioned as being part of the Kilrathi psyche.

Personally I dont think either race knew much about Humanity they were coming to fullfill the Kilrathi Prophecy and stumbled into the Confed fleet which started the new war.

I'll be honest in saying that I didn't really read ALL of this thread, but most of it. For some reason, maybe it's because of how late I'm up and how much I've drank :), but I remember something about the Steltek moving into the core after something. Am I wrong here? Was it another race, or they were looking for something. Maybe I'm way off base, though-as I haven't played Privateer, etc. in a long, long time.

No, you're not misremembering. The Steltek retreated to the galactic core (at least that's what Dr. Monkhouse theorized, from available evidence uncovered by his research) a long time ago, though they apparently have one or more agents around their former haunts to pick up the stray bits of Steltek technology that got left behind.

Comparison of two races
Steltek
*advanced shield technology that confed weapons can’t penetrate, nor do I think do nephilm (this is just guess work).
*weapons fairly advanced better then plasma weapons inferior to fusion weapons & AM. They can penetrate their own shields so it makes up the lack of extra punch. Drone had 5 if I am not mistaking.
Btw what we have seen so far in privateer: derelict battleship, drone, scout & fighter; point to very advanced technology more superior to nephilm.

Nephilm
*advanced in plasma technology, have the ability to detect cloaked ships with naked eye (id like to see them try to lock a missile onto a cloaked ship), some shield disrupting technology, but it appears that newer confed ships are not affected. Must be the new shields generators the confed developed.
*cluster tactics, an interesting idea but not fully exploited.
*good warriors in hand to hand combat.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

haha, i like the hand to hand bit...

why are humans always the weak shit among space combat games?

i'd love to see a nephilim dude jump out and grab my ship and start punching it... that would be _great_:)

-scheherazade

GreyViper said:
Comparison of two races
Steltek
*weapons fairly advanced better then plasma weapons inferior to fusion weapons & AM. They can penetrate their own shields so it makes up the lack of extra punch. Drone had 5 if I am not mistaking.

We really only kknow that a hundred of years old fighter and a similar old drone have these plasma weapons. The Steltek probably got far advanced gear by now. So the comparision to fusion and AM is a bit unfair IMHO. Sides I am not sure AM are stronger then the plasma weapon at all. Shield tech advanced since WC2.

We really only know that a hundred of years old fighter and a similar old drone have these plasma weapons. The Steltek probably got far advanced gear by now. So the comparision to fusion and AM is a bit unfair IMHO. Sides I am not sure AM are stronger then the plasma weapon at all. Shield tech advanced since WC2.
*shrugs* Not sure they are even plasma weapons. Sure they might, but I made the comparison with what was available in WC games. And the mentioned guns were more powerful then the green gun if you take the shield penetration away.

As for AM weapons the one reason I think we don’t see them in later games is because they were replaced by turrets. Btw I think in WCP they are heavy particle cannons, basicly same function but another name. Not sure what rules apply to WC universe, but AM weapons do huge damage and the energy weapons would need huge amount of energy(that’s why you don’t see them as craft weapons). This might be bad comparison but check out what damage they do in I-War2 and you will understand.

Back