Nav Points

No, they are all sequential, no nav changing and I don't think this will be changed. Workarounds are the order of the day here for this.

So it's not possible? Well to better describe the question, is there a way to choose which nav point you want to go to? Via a comm choice?

You can't actually change which nav you go to next as far as the engine is concerned, but you can use for example the comm choice menu where the player can
select which "nav" to go to. When I say "nav" I mean what ships are to be spawned in the next nav. You can also set functions (mainly nav functions) to do different things by using an "if then" code that is based on the results of that comm selection.

So while you can't change which nav the player will have to go to, you can change what is in it so that it looks like a different navpoint.

But what if you do decide to help, you need that extra nav so you can land on your carrier, so its not really possible. Unless you can make yourself land on 2 diffrent carriers. One for each nav point

You could always have the non-help navpoint be just an intermediate nav that would be avoided if you go to help out.

The way to do this is, as IceBlade suggested, is to have a comm choice. Then spawn all the ships for the navs after that point. Use if statements. And yes, you can land on 2 different carriers. You can even force a landing on a carrier if the ship is within a certain distance.

But let me think about what I can do. If Mission_setScriptControl is set to true, it might be possible to add a script command to change the next nav. Are you using setScriptControl or not?

OK, hold tight on this changing nav thing, I think I have a solution. Don't try to implement it in scripts yourself yet.

But let me think about what I can do. If Mission_setScriptControl is set to true, it might be possible to add a script command to change the next nav. Are you using setScriptControl or not?

Not using Mission_setScriptControl.

This script could be a unique... mabye it should be added to the scripting doc's once we (eddieb, Iceblade, me, etc.) It could be added so others can try their hand at it (I'm telling you how to do your job eddieb, incase you got that impression. :))

If I add something like this, it's going to require that you use Mission_setScriptControl. That means more scripting for you. In this case, the script has to keep track of kills, mission success, which navs have been visited before, etc. Life gets much more complicated when you can, for example, visit the same nav twice, or you can visit navs out of order.

Ewww, complications, but I'm all for trying it, I know I'm gonna need script control, now I just have to guess and check the way it will need to be made. I'd like all the help I can get on this, :) I'll start on it, feel free to try your own hand at it, It wont be copyright infringment. :p

Hmm, the more I think about this, I'm thinking

We let the user press n to toggle the next nav

The user can go to navs in any order, and always encouters the enemies, as definited in the mission editor, on the first visit to a nav. On a second visit to a nav, you can always autopilot, and no enemies appear.

With script control enabled, you'd have to keep track yourself of whether or not the player visited a nav. And also, if nav visit order matters to your script, you'd have to track that.

This seems doable, but I'm going to push it off to 1.6. I already postponed 1.5 to add briefing scripting, and I'd like get that out to you guys as soon as possible.

See the hard part is switching navs without autopiloting, the rest seems more doable. It's a floating point arithmetic thing, I'm worried that we'll lose position precision.

Mabye during your autopilot, when you press 'n' or whatever key it could be, you change to a new nav point.

Oh are you all saying that the nav point switching isn't possible??? Or can it be done via a never ending list of scripts.

It's a floating point arithmetic thing
/me runs out of the room screaming, remembering the long hours spend with IEEE double and single persision.

Don't worry Winnyfred, just try having everything spawn via Lua. You could really make it work if it was possible to assign scripts to a key.

On a side note, is there any chance of Lua being implamented during the gameflow?

I have two problems right now. The first is multipath missions. Right now I have the option of defecting during a few missions. If you deside to defect you automaticlly fail, thus getting the fail mission. I'm worried that if you somehow fail without the defecting path being taken.

Code:
if (PathTaken = 1) then Mission = "whatever1.mission.xml"
if (PathTaken = 2) then Mission = "whatever2.mission.xml"
if (PathTaken = 3) then Mission = "whatever3.mission.xml"

Now the other thing I'm looking at is having the avaliable ships recorded in a few global varibles. This determines how many wingmen you have and if you can call for reinforcements. Being able to manipulate a screen like the one with simulator would be very useful.

/me runs out of the room screaming, remembering the long hours spend with IEEE double and single persision.

Yes, the concern is that I only use floats for each nav. And if you get too far from 0,0,0, then the ship movement will look jerky. And if we used one big map, then that might happen.

Don't worry Winnyfred, just try having everything spawn via Lua. You could really make it work if it was possible to assign scripts to a key.

No no, let's wait on this. I want to do this the right way, and I'm going to put it in the engine soon enough, it will be first priority after 1.5, and I may release a 1.5.5 with just that. So hold tight, and don't try to do it yourself in scripts.

On a side note, is there any chance of Lua being implamented during the gameflow?

I have two problems right now. The first is multipath missions. Right now I have the option of defecting during a few missions. If you deside to defect you automaticlly fail, thus getting the fail mission. I'm worried that if you somehow fail without the defecting path being taken.

Code:
if (PathTaken = 1) then Mission = "whatever1.mission.xml"
if (PathTaken = 2) then Mission = "whatever2.mission.xml"
if (PathTaken = 3) then Mission = "whatever3.mission.xml"

Oohh, yes, this is important, we will definitely have gameflow scripting. I'm going to add this before 1.5 is released, should be pretty easy.

Now the other thing I'm looking at is having the avaliable ships recorded in a few global varibles. This determines how many wingmen you have and if you can call for reinforcements. Being able to manipulate a screen like the one with simulator would be very useful.
[/QUOTE]
Hmm, a shipviewer, but it says how many are remaining of each type... interesting.
Let me think about that in the post 1.5 timeframe, might not be too hard to do.

We are putting eddieb over his head with ideas, mabye we should hold off and wait for him to finish 1.5, then unload our entire head of ideas for 1.6, 1.7, etc. :p

Back