My take on the classics

starfox1701

Petty Officer
Recently got the WC bug again after years and been putting my burgoning modeling and model tinkering skills to work. Major Payne segested I post some pic here.

1st off I got the WC2 Concordia model and decided to try and update bothe the textures and the gun batterys.

WIP1.pngWIP2.pngWIP3.pngWIP4.pngWIP5.pngWIP6.pngWIP7.pngWIP8.pngWIP9.png

What you all think of the changes?

I like the general concept, but I still think she looks better if the turret housings are round semi-spheres like we see during funeral scenes in Wing Commander II. It just seems to fit the ship better. But I like your weapon placements and the model as a whole.

Welcome! It's always good to see a friendly ship!

Great work on the model! She looks gorgeous!

As to the turrets, I agree with Sylvester. I like the turret design you are using, but not for this model.

Maybe I'm the only one who didn't like the concordia's design all that much, with that huge fins and so on, so I guess what bothers me most about your model is that it is too similar to the original one.
Other than that: I think it is always nice to see someone wanting to improve their skill, and even more so if it is a Wing Commander ship that is built in the process.
I'm looking forward to see what you can do with the ol' connie!

I suppose my only criticism of this very excellent model would be with the side wing things. The texture on top and bottom of them seems kind of stretched and weird. The rest of the model has really nice textures that look like the hull of a spaceship but those wings just bug me for some reason. That said, really awesome look. Love it.

Maybe it was just a bit lazy UV-mapping. If not it could be a geometry error.
Those weird stretched textures appear on some other surfaces of the model as well.

I like the general concept, but I still think she looks better if the turret housings are round semi-spheres like we see during funeral scenes in Wing Commander II. It just seems to fit the ship better. But I like your weapon placements and the model as a whole.

Welcome! It's always good to see a friendly ship!
Great work on the model! She looks gorgeous!
As to the turrets, I agree with Sylvester. I like the turret design you are using, but not for this model.

The turrets are a WIP. I thought about going with the original half ball style but they felt to primative to me. Any seggetions on an alternate style?

I like the detail of your textures. Is that a landing pad between the two runways?

Yea its a VTOL pad and elevator down to the hanger. Added it because the model originally just had a hole there and the game implied sonthing like that. Otherwise there is no place for the Bonne Heather dock.

I suppose my only criticism of this very excellent model would be with the side wing things. The texture on top and bottom of them seems kind of stretched and weird. The rest of the model has really nice textures that look like the hull of a spaceship but those wings just bug me for some reason. That said, really awesome look. Love it.

Yea thats how they originally maped. With the old lowres textures it didn't look to bad. The only way to fix it is to make a new texture and I haven't gotten arround to that yet.

I like the view of the Phase Transit Cannon visible on the ventral side, and also how the secondary (antimatter) battery turrets are visually distinguishable from the point-defense (flak) turrets.

Nice! Okay, I'm now requesting the obligatory remake of the original Wing Commander 2 boxart with models! :)

That will have to wait as I don't have her in any game yet or any Drakhri to shoot at her yet :D

I like the view of the Phase Transit Cannon visible on the ventral side, and also how the secondary (antimatter) battery turrets are visually distinguishable from the point-defense (flak) turrets.

Thanks she is suppose to be a DN, not just a CVA. I wanted the battery to reflect that.

Insperation has been flowing to the other side as of late. Couldn't find a good Hhriss model out there so I took a crack at it myself. What you all think?

Attachments

• Hhriss1.png
    Hhriss1.png
    420 KB · Views: 176
  • Hhriss2.png
    Hhriss2.png
    471.3 KB · Views: 186
  • Hhriss3.png
    Hhriss3.png
    227.3 KB · Views: 181
  • Hhriss4.png
    Hhriss4.png
    231.8 KB · Views: 176
  • Hhriss5.png
    Hhriss5.png
    70.7 KB · Views: 177
  • Hhriss6.png
    Hhriss6.png
    115.3 KB · Views: 159
  • Hhriss7.png
    Hhriss7.png
    129.5 KB · Views: 169
  • Hhriss8.png
    Hhriss8.png
    141.4 KB · Views: 167
I think you really need the angled view to see the windows:

wc1hhriss.jpg

It's an uncanny B-17 resemblance for being unintended.

Last edited by a moderator:
That Hriss model is really well done, the textures in particular are very plausible. The use of colours etc is perfect.

Back