My collection is finally there!

Mindcrime

Commodore
So after a year and a half I finally have the collection I sought out for. WC1-5, Privateer 1 &2, WC Animated series on DVD, and the newest and most difficult for me to find Kilrathi Saga complete in box just came in today. I am a very very happy dude right now! My Privateer 2 has the official strategy guide with it too. Please let me know if anything from that would benefit this site.

So after a year and a half I finally have the collection I sought out for. WC1-5, Privateer 1 &2, WC Animated series on DVD, and the newest and most difficult for me to find Kilrathi Saga complete in box just came in today. I am a very very happy dude right now! My Privateer 2 has the official strategy guide with it too. Please let me know if anything from that would benefit this site.
As a fellow hoarder (though for something completely different), take all my kudos! Your next goal is not to get copies of the games signed by Mark Hammil and the rest of the gang. :)

Excellent, well done on getting it all together.

Don't forget Armada, it's by no means a favourite of mine, but it certainly has a place in any Wing Commander collection.

Then there's Academy, of course, and if you want to go full hoarder, grab yourself a 3DO and the two Wing Commander titles!

Lol i would love to have Mark Hammil sign my WC3 and 4. I considered doing the armada and academy thing but i never owned those as a kid. I might have to just to complete the set though huh?

I wouldn't consider a WC collection complete without a copy of all the novels either. I could personally take or leave all the strategy guides but it at least needs the novels.

As others have said, Academy and Armada are important, too. No, really, they are. Remember, every WC game was also a work of art in terms of the physical packaging, the manual, and all that. The Academy manual is a great expansion of the WC2 manual. And the Armada manual is just awesome. Actually, I also really love the Armada box art.

...Having said that, ironically Academy and Armada are the only WC games that I only have in digital GOG form :(. One day...

I wouldn't consider a WC collection complete without a copy of all the novels either. I could personally take or leave all the strategy guides but it at least needs the novels.
Yep, the novels are an absolute must-have.

Oh, and don't forget to find the console versions of the games. I have WC1 for SNES and WC4 for PSX, for example.

Yep, the novels are an absolute must-have.

Oh, and don't forget to find the console versions of the games. I have WC1 for SNES and WC4 for PSX, for example.
Most console version aren't "essential" but there's definite reasons to want them in your collection. WC1 SNES might elicit nostalgia for some but is for all intents and purposes 'inferior' to the PC version. However other editions, like the SegaCD version add full speech. Super Wing Commander is an oddity in that it's a Remake that has both updated graphics and full speech. WC3 for the PSX and 3DO both include extra scenes not in the PC version. The 3DO version was also remade to better suit console style gaming. WC4 PSX has worse quality video and is 'abridged' but it does make some effort to refine the controls for analog controlers and adds rumble effects. The WC4 DVD version has improved quality video but lacks a nice box to put up on the shelf. It's up to you how far you want to take it, but there's also several foreign language versions that include neat alternate versions of the manuals.

Honestly out of all of these things I think I really need to get WC1 and secret missions on snes. That was my introduction to the series ala game rental lol.

Hey LOAF! Hows SQ42 coming along? I gotta admit I decided to walk away for the past year or so because of lack of news and I was slightly obsessed lol. Any closer to the finish line? My flight stick is still ready to go but I don’t have time to keep up. Hope you are well Ben!

Of course, if you're a wing 1 and 2 fan you absolutely need to get the in universe strategy guide by Mark Minasi (Secrets of the Wing Commander Universe). Glad to hear you managed to bag all the games though!

Back