Museum Ships

criticalmass

Vice Admiral
It's a little embarrassing to issue this request, but maybe it is also of some benefit for others (if not for the benefit of cultured discussion):

After some failed attempts of creating a plausible interactive plotline, I think I've cobbled together something more original than the fan project generator plots - but I've maneuvered myself into a corner here, and my only way out right now is to find a retired or museum ship to stage it on.

As far as retired goes, I know I could take anything that's halfway in the ranges of credibility (no, no dreadnoughts..), but a museum ship would be nicer, and adds more to the flavor of the story.

For museum ships, I know that there's the Victory, but I don't want to overuse a ship that has seen so much action.

So my question is: Are there other museum/memorial/display ships that orbit somewhere after the war (or in any point of the timeline)?
Sorry to be such a nuisance, but searching threads and combing the encyclopedia hasn't turned up anything. Thanks in advance for your troubles.

I don't think any other museum ships are mentioned -- but if they were, you'd probably run into the same problem in that they'd be familiar 'main character' ships rather than something appropriate for a new story. There's plenty of room in the Wing Commander universe for inventing your own museum ship, though.

(A TCS Lexington memorial was mentioned at the Prophecy site's news ticker -- though we don't know if that's the Lexington as a museum or an ordinary monument of some sort.)

What about something like the TCS Kipling. I don't really know what happened to the ship but I don't remember anything being mentioned about it as far as being sold to the Landreich or being scrapped. An old Bengal class is as good as anything else for a museum ship.

Thanks Loaf, I'll go ahead and try to figure out something reasonable. Any favorita candidates maybe, some vessel that has been mentioned but later left out of the general storytelling, which now needs some additional history? Anyway, I need to look at the ship list again and find something fitting.

Ed, I'd love to see the Intrepid, but every time I'm in NY it's business only. Darn. But the idea of a museum ship came from a real display, although of a little more modest size: http://www.nps.gov/vick/cairo/cairo.htm

EDIT: Sarty: Sounds promising.

Oh, I love the Intrepid. Too bad I wasn't able to go on a tour of the Growler when I was there last (the sub docked next to the carrier).

Back