$$$ movie

dextorboot said:
I went to go see it with my GF and, having no previous knowledge of what WC was, she enjoyed it.

Thats awsome. You should see if you can get her hooked on the games :)

And about what I said before the only change they made was that I personally wish they didn't was that we never see Bossman and Iceman. Just cerious but did anyone else wish we alteast meet them in the movie? Bossman was one of my favorites in the game :cool:

No friend of mine ever enjoyed the movie....I dont care.....I did.

As for no "Iceman" or why they didnt call Blair "Maverick" hm....I think they didnt want to mess up with "TOPGUN" .It sounds crazy but maybe they had some copyrighting problems.....at least that is what I thought....

Anyway as someone said just enjoy the movie and as I said before if you dont like it ,DONT LIKE IT we dont care :p

I just think people need to separate not liking the movie and treating it as though it isn't part of the Wing Commander universe. The movie, as presented, was pretty awful -- but that's no reason to ignore all the interesting stuff it brings in to the rest of WC.

TC said:
The ships do have shields...

You mean the fighters had shields?

But they were crippled in single shot. No indication of a shield impact was there. Or it has been quite some time since I watched the movie, I should check it again :rolleyes:

Bandit LOAF said:
I just think people need to separate not liking the movie and treating it as though it isn't part of the Wing Commander universe. The movie, as presented, was pretty awful -- but that's no reason to ignore all the interesting stuff it brings in to the rest of WC.

Yes ! exactly that is my point..it is WC stuff...to be honest I would prefer no Pilgrims etc . but it is a part of WC universe...

Let me say it that way:Maybe no one knows what exactly happened back in 2654...But ! We have some sources ! Wc1,WCATV,WCM for example....maybe the truth is somewhere between them...we have to collect stuff from every source !

Murray said:
You mean the fighters had shields?

But they were crippled in single shot. No indication of a shield impact was there. Or it has been quite some time since I watched the movie, I should check it again :rolleyes:

I think that's a dramatic concete you'll find anywhere -- including any cutscene in the games where fighters are blowing each other up... watching fighters pound on eachother for thirty seconds just isn't exciting when you're not the one controlling the guns. :)

Well, now I can understand the movie and it actually fits into the timeline. What I don't get is why they didn't just use the same Kilrathi customes from the games, it is more realistic and is cheaper-you would think. The space fighting also didn't even look like it does in the game. Sure, you need to change somethings, but I think they went too far from the games with the props, customes, special effects.

Murray said:
Even with todays technology, the torpedos are loaded automatically.

only on the latest generations of sub.s
the seawolf class is the first US sub to use auto-loading tubes.
u might as why, well there is nothing like hanging ur ass out in the wind win jammed auto-loading tubes....
same reason the US M1A2 Abram doesn't have an autoloading gun.

What I don't get is why they didn't just use the same Kilrathi customes from the games, it is more realistic and is cheaper-you would think.

Chris Roberts has never really done full motion Kilrathi that he's happy with -- hence the re-imagining of them for both WC4 (Battlestar Galacticats) and the movie (hairless cats). The WC3 Kilrathi do look great... as long as you're watching them on highly compressed 640x480 video segments -- and as long as they don't move much. :) If you ever get a chance to see what the WC3 Kilrathi looked like on film (or even video), you'll wish you hadn't.

u might as why, well there is nothing like hanging ur ass out in the wind win jammed auto-loading tubes....

One of the things cut from the WC movie was a series of scenes that would have followed the 'regular' crew members of the Tiger's Claw. At one point during a battle, the auto loaders are destroyed and the secondary crew members are forced to load them manually. Unfortunately, in the final edited version all that made it into the movie was a single, brief scene of guys loading torpedoes manually. :)

The movie was horribly cut -- entire subplots and characters were removed for the sake of time. The movie novel makes a lot more sense. :)

Just a small reminder: James Taggart was an intelligence officer involved during the Secret Mission 2: The Crusade era. I think it was somewhat mentioned in the Freedom Flight novel.

Speaking about the disappointment to the movie treatment, I was having this little imagination about a Wing Commander Ultimate Edition DVD....

Bandit LOAF said:
The movie was horribly cut -- entire subplots and characters were removed for the sake of time. The movie novel makes a lot more sense. :)

Any chance we´ll see a Wing Commander Redux someday?

FOX claims they won't revisit WC on DVD -- which is a shame, since a high definition print now exists. C'est la vie...

That said, there are copies of the original workprint floating out there -- we'll get our hands on one someday. These things have a way of working out...

Happy said:

The torpedos on the Tigers Claw was a change I thought was pretty cool. Even thow I liked how the carryer looked more in WC1, I thought the idea of how they fired them and how they worked was interesting.

Bandit LOAF said:

:( Too bad they removed the Traitor.....and they also cut other scenes....Ive read the Original Script a few days ago again.I wish they had more funds.....they would have made it a very good and classic sci-fi.... :rolleyes:

Iceblade said:
They probably should of mentioned that the auto-loaders were damaged in like a damage report.

Umm, they did mention that the auto-loaders were damaged, in a spoken damage report during the engagement. It was, though, just a brief mention, and the actual set didn't have anything that looked like battle damage (IIRC), so I can understand how some missed it.

GF doesn't play games. And when she does they're puzzle games.

Seeing or hearing about people from the source material is always good, but only for those already in the know. Happened a lot in those previous movies I mentioned, but it ultimately is only cool for those who know about it. I had to sit there and tell my GF everytime they mentioned someone from the comic book during Spiderman.

It's seems like there was conscious decision to move away from a carrier to a submarine-carrier hybrid during the movie. Honestly, I like it. The crew having to load the torps seems a little more realistic (or at least movie realistic) to me. This is also pretty evident with the addition of a ExO. IMO, I actually like the switch. The idea of stealth against a superior enemy works well.

It may help most people here to not try to get the game series and movie timelines to coexist. Just think of them as being separate entities. Different versions of the same thing. Different dimensions, whatever you want to believe. But getting them to agree with each other doesn't seem possible.

I actually liked the Pilgrim stuff. Made Blair seem more special, instead of just "this is our hero for the movie" it was more like he was an unexpected and unwanted hero. Basically, it makes the movie more interesting. Gives the characters more to talk about.

Back