Most useless Wingman

Mekt-Hakkikt

Mpanty's bane
Hello!
I'd like to know which wingman you found most useless in the regarding WC game. I realized certain wingmen were never good, regardless how often I flew with them
Here's my list:
WC1 (including the SMs): Paladin (he never shot down an enemy when I flew with him)
WC2: Jazz and Stingray
WC3: Flint (perhaps because I kept her at low morale) and Cobra. I have to say, though, that I found most of them very very useless, except Hobbes and sometimes Maniac. Flash was very bad, too. But the two women were the worst (no chauvinism intended)
WC4: Catscratch, of course :)
WCP: Spyder (Boy, that guy ejects all the time), followed by Zero
WC Academy: Litespeed (no big surprise)
WC Armada: All of them. They never did anything, except keeping an enemy busy. They never got shot down, though.

I think that it could vary , as it seems that every time I replay a WC game, another wingman is the bad one. I even played WC3 one time, when Flint was second place at the killboard, when I chose her as wingman, she was still crappy.
I am looking forward to your answers.

WC1 - Maniac (fool couldn't hit a starship at point blank range)
WC2 - Shadow and Jazz
WCP - Dallas/Maestro
WCSO - Maestro (again)

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
WC3: Flint (perhaps because I kept her at low morale) and Cobra. I have to say, though, that I found most of them very very useless, except Hobbes and sometimes Maniac. Flash was very bad, too. But the two women were the worst (no chauvinism intended)

It depends a lot on your flying style. I tend to be a bit a control freak (I take the "commander" part of Wing Commander literally), so I like nice obedient wingmen who do what I say, when I say, and don't give me any back-chat about it. Because of that, I tend to like by-the-book-wingmen like Flint. Her skills do improve quite a bit the more you fly with her, and by the end of the game she is a very good pilot if you selct her as your wingman regularly.

Best, Raptor

the most useless Wingmen were the "nobody" guys in WC4. Ya know, Primate and all them. The guys you never got to talk to. They sucked.

I liked flint.
my least favs go like this.
wc1: maniac
wc2: jazz
wc3: vaquero or flash
wc4: maniac (cant stand the jerk, never listend to me)
wcp: all but hawk

my favs were
wc1: angel
wc2: angel
wc3: flint or vagabond
wc4: panther or hawk but panther more.
wcp: hawk

Least Favorites...

WC1: Maniac.
WC2: Jazz. (Duh:))
WC3: Cobra & Hobbes.
WC4: Seether.
WCP: Pops.
SO: Halo 3... I hate Halo 3 sooo much!
Academy: Lightspeed!
Armada: LiteSpeed!
Privateer 2: Louisa!

Favorites...

WC1: Hunter.
WC2: Shadow. Loved her accent.
WC3: BACON BOY!
WC4: Bob-O-Matte. Okay, we never fly with Bob-O-Matte... but don't you wish we could?
WCP: Roulette. I would like to take a spin with Roulette.
SO: Spyder. He's one cool customer... and that "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot" line is fantastic.
Academy: Angel?
Armada: Danthrax. It's fun just *saying* Danthrax.
Privateer 2: Melissa.

I never cared much for Maniac in WC1....but he never lasted long either. I'd always (and still do) loose him in the same mission. He gets all damaged, and I tell him to return to base and he never does. Then he dies. It's one of the earlier missions too. I've never once made it through WC1 with Maniac alive. The first few times I played through it I thought he was *supposed* to die at that spot.

Originally posted by Ladiesman^
the most useless Wingmen were the "nobody" guys in WC4. Ya know, Primate and all them. The guys you never got to talk to. They sucked.

Eh, the redshirts wre some of the best wingman in the game... I haven't played WC4 in ages, but IIRC Excel was one of the better ones.

My least fav.

WC1: Knight
WC2: Jazz
WC3: Flint
WC4: Maniac
WCP: Blair
SO: EVERYONE!!!!!

My fav

WC1: Hunter/Spirit
WC2: Hobbes/Spirit/Angel
WC3: Vag
WC4: Vag/Hawk
WCP: Hawk
SO: NO ONE!!!
P2: The delicious Melisa Banks...

primate was pretty good too.

my fav
wc1- Spirit
wc2- Angel
wca- Angel
wc3- vagabond
wc4- vagabond

least fav having little to do with actual flying ability.

wc2- Jazz. He killed spirit!!!

wc3-cobra see never seemed to kill so much as one enemy while on my wing! Probably because I never had her on my wing :D . I hated that character after that hobbes thing so I wasn't very well going to fly with her.

wc4-Vinman [actually because of flying ability]
look at him shake that dragon :rolleyes: .

[Edited by Dekkar on 04-07-2001 at 19:34]

None of my wingmen ever seemed to be very good, but the more good guys the better. If nothing else, they keep the bad guys off of you, making your job much easier. If only we had a co-op campaign option in the Wing Commander games. Maybe in the next game.

Co-op would be cool. I'd always be the Maniac-ish wingman who never followed orders.

And if anyone ever became like an Archer from WCATV, they'd be a gettin a missle straight up the tailpipe curtosy of the Ladiesman!

The only ones that become useless is the ones flying into your friendly fire! After that, they like to ram into the carriers. :)

RFB

Least Favorites:

WC1: Maniac.
WC2: Jazz (but you barely fly with him)
WC3: Flash/Maniac
WC4: Catscratch (not too good)

Favorites:

WC1: ICEMAN guys!! Hunter and Angel too..
WC2: Angel (Doomsday isn't bad either)
WC3: BACON BOY!
WC4: Vagabond and Maniac (that guy's good)

Originally posted by Icedagger
None of my wingmen ever seemed to be very good, but the more good guys the better. If nothing else, they keep the bad guys off of you, making your job much easier. If only we had a co-op campaign option in the Wing Commander games. Maybe in the next game.
Eeek, I shudder at that thought. It would be like having lots and lots of Maniacs on your wing.
"Form on my wing!"
"No can do, ace!"
"Nope!"
"No way!"
"Not a chance!"

Argh! ;)

Least favourite wingmen:
WC1: Tough call. Maniac?
WC2: Jazz. He was a loser, and not just because he was a Mandarin.
WC3: Another tough call. Flash, I guess, though even he would have become good eventually.
WC4: Hmm... Primate? He's one of the best, but his comms...
WCP: None. They're all good.
WCSO: None. They're all good.

Favouritest wingmen:
WC1: Paladin and Knight. Reliable.
WC2: Shadow and Doomsday. Truly excellent pilots.
WC3: Hobbes. Eisen even complained about that ;).
WC4: None. They're all equally useful.
WCP: See above.
WCSO: See above.

Yeah, I suppose the command system would break down in a co-op game. Of course, it wouldn't be much different for me, as I always order "Break and attack" at the beginning of every engagement anyway. On the rare occasions that I do order my wingmen back to my wing, they almost always say they can't.

It would also be cool if there was a competitive game style, like Armada with multiple people on each side. That would be fun.

I want the multiplayer from Tachyon...just with WC stuff. That would RULE.

Also on the topic of stuff for a new game, i'd love for a couple of missions to man a turret on your carrier (those WC3 turrets would have been bad ass to hop in), and for there to be better/more atmospheric missions.

Co-op would be cool. I'd always be the Maniac-ish wingman who never followed orders.

And if anyone ever became like an Archer from WCATV, they'd be a gettin a missle straight up the tailpipe curtosy of the Ladiesman!

If anyone was like Archer, they would get nailed by the enemy long before friendly fire became an issue. Newsflash, Gwen: He's dead- Get over it!!!

Best, Raptor

Originally posted by Raptor

If anyone was like Archer, they would get nailed by the enemy long before friendly fire became an issue. Newsflash, Gwen: He's dead- Get over it!!!
Wise words... and uh, you guys have been forced to kill how many of your own wingmen? None, you say? Then perhaps you shouldn't criticise Archer...

Back