Most "Iconic Wing Commander" Fighter (or Bomber or capship)

Icefire69

Spaceman
Because i wanna have a Fighter/Bomber/capship Thread too, i try it with something interesting (i hope)

What is the most iconic Fighter for you?

For me, it's the Rapier in WC2 even though i played WC1 first, and loved the Raptor, when i think about a Wing Commander fighter, it's the Rapier from WC2.

The most "WC" Capship is the Tiger's Claw, this design burns in your mind like no other, Concordia? Ugly, Victory? Vesuvius? Ugly!

While there are a lot of memorable designs, I think the WC1 version of the Tiger's Claw is probably the most 'iconic' ship of the franchise.

To me the most iconic ship in WC would definately have to be the good old Dralthi.
Being possibly the only ship with variants in almost every WC game (It's not in WC2 or Priv2) and when you think of the kilrathi honestly whats the first ship that comes to mind eh?

Aplha 1-1 said:
To me the most iconic ship in WC would definately have to be the good old Dralthi.
Being possibly the only ship with variants in almost every WC game (It's not in WC2 or Priv2) and when you think of the kilrathi honestly whats the first ship that comes to mind eh?
Well the WC2 Drakhri is very close to Dralthi.;)

With Wing Commander having gone through so many artistic incarnations, it's hard to peg down one iconic design... With the earlier games the Rapier was a very strong contender, and the Hellcat was very well exposed in the later games. But I think that the Dralthi, through it's various rebirths, is a good choice for this title. From the original flying pancake, to the sleeker Super Wing Commander redesign, to the jagged assemetrical variant first featured in Wing Commander Armada, to the Wing Commander movie's mean looking KF-100, this ship has really carved out a spot in my mind as a design that represents the alien kilrathi, and wing commander.

Since I played WC1 first I guess the most overall iconic ship for me would be the Raptor. The Top 5 would probably go like this (for me):

1. Raptor
2. Tiger's Claw
3. Scimitar
4. Hornet
5. Exeter

Yes, I realize all those ships are from the Wing Commander 1 but that was my first exposure to the series and it remains to this day to have the greatest nostalgic effect on me. (Yes, I have played all the other games in the series excluding Super Wing Commander and the console versions).

Even though it's my LAST choice for a fighter, for me it's the Hellcat. I've only played 3 and 4, and the Dralthi only showed up in a few missions in 4. The Hellcat is the ship you're forced to fly at the start of 3 and for a few missions in 4. Even when you're with the Border Worlds you still fly against the Hellcat in quite a few missions. You get the impression that the Hellcat was produced in huge quantities by Confed and is by far the most common ship in their arsenal during WC3 and 4.

poor Hellcat... why does everybody hate on this ship? I was never unhappy to draw this fighter in WC4, and I was furious at Pliers for scrapping the last of them! I was even hoping they would extend the line in Prophecy, not being completely satisfied with its heir, the Tigershark. (granted, the Hellcat was a little light on ordinance, which limited its combat endurance.)

The quintessential Wing Commander figher will have to be the Dralthi in its various incarnations.

Good ol' flying pancakes... best fried to a crisp :)

I would have to say the most iconic ship has got to be the Drathi since we've practically seen it evolve throughout the whole series.

Sgt_thomson said:
I would have to say the most iconic ship has got to be the Drathi since we've practically seen it evolve throughout the whole series.

Except for WC2.:)

I'd have to say the Dralthi as well, since my first WC games were Armada and Privateer. Although whenever I think of a carrier, I think of the Midway or the Concordia.

Justice said:
I'd have to say the Dralthi as well, since my first WC games were Armada and Privateer. Although whenever I think of a carrier, I think of the Midway or the Concordia.
I think of the Tiger's Claw.

I would have to say that the strongest argument is for the Dralthi. Dralthi are featured in the original artwork for Wing Commander I, Super Wing Commander, Wing Commander Academy, Wing Commander SNES, Wing Commander Armada, Wing Commander III and Kilrathi Saga... and then End Run, Freedom Flight, Wing Commander II and Wing Commander II FM Towns all use scenes with similarly-winged ships to evoke the original game's box. What's more, fifteen years of immitators have borrowed Dralthi for their box art to let people know that their games are like Wing Commander -- from Star Crusader to StarLancer. There's no ship that seems more 'Wing Commander' to the average gamer than the Dralthi.

At the same time, WingNuts should note that the Drakhri is significantly different from the Dralthi - in particular, it's much wider (and, of course, it's absolutely nothing like any Dralthi that existed in 1991 -- the Super Wing Commander/Privateer-style Dralthi borrows from the Drakhri for things like weapons mounts, not vice versa).

Back