Morningstar or Sabre?

Which would you rather use for your navy?

• Morningstar: Delta-Winged Nukey Goodness, Baby!

Votes: 20 46.5%
  • Sabre: Twelve (12)! Torpedo madness!

Votes: 23 53.5%

• Total voters
The only game that gave me any experience with these planes was Standoff and in that game the Morningstar was the better plane. However, I still voted Sabre because of the whole multifunction theme it has going for it and its look. If this were my fleet, I could load the Sabre up with torpedoes or nukes or both. And the Sabre has an F-14 Tomcat vibe to it as someone mentioned, but it also reminds me of the F7U Cutlass.

You should definately try to get some time with them in their original WC2/SO1/SO2 environments. Standoff does a great job with them, but flying them in their original form can give you quite a respect for either craft.

I prefer the Sabre mostly because we had more time behind the stick and I really liked the Sabre D's (IIRC) that they used during the novels off the Tarawa.

You should definately try to get some time with them in their original WC2/SO1/SO2 environments. Standoff does a great job with them, but flying them in their original form can give you quite a respect for either craft.

I prefer the Sabre mostly because we had more time behind the stick and I really liked the Sabre D's (IIRC) that they used during the novels off the Tarawa.

I agree - before you fly the Sabre, you fly the lightly armed and shielded Ferret, which takes forever to kill anythign in, the Epee which has the craptacular shields of the Ferret without any armour to speak of, the Broadsword, where using your turrets is often easier than turning, and the Rapier, a good ship, but relatively lightly shielded, and with lasers as the second pair of guns.

Getting to the Sabre is an epiphany - suddenly everything seems to die before you. When you get the Morningstar, it's a bit anti-climatic, you think to yourself, "ho-hum, we've been here before".

The Gothri wouldn't have been such a frustrating opponent if you faced it in a Sabre instead of a Crossbow. Speaking of which, the Mandarin Sabres were some of the best dogfights to be had in the game, but how'd they get so many anyway? :mad:

Hey now, dont be so hard on the ferret. Those guns could pack a wallup. Besides, I like the look to it. (A BSG Viper crossed with an X-wing. Hilarity ensues.) I kinda wish we got to fly the ferrent in the main game on Standoff.(I read that Quartro said the reason the stilleto was used was because it was a fighter in Gemini. Besides, the missle load is a LOT better than ferrets, but one strikes me as a pure Interceptor, Stilleto, where as the Ferret was used because it was easier and safer to use than the Epee. Let me know if you have any problems with this post.

the best part about the ferret is that it (like the arrow) has an amazingly small profile, so you are very hard to hit in a ferret if you keep moving.

I too like the looks of the Ferret, along with the fact that it beat the wimpy Hornet all hollow with regards to being an early game fighter. If the Super Ferret could be equiped with ImRecs, that would be just perfect.

As for the Mandarin Sabres, they probably got their Sabres from either defecting Confed pilots, or by stealing them. The latter is more probable, given that only a few pilots would choose to defect to the Mandarins, and of those, only a few of those defectors would be flying Sabres. Also, those hijackers from SO obviously had to get their experience somewhere. What better way than by stealing transports filled with fighters, fighter parts, and munitions?

I agree with Tyrant, I loved the Ferret.

It was quick and fast, and the quick-firing mass drivers could tear though a sartha or drakhri in no time. For all the complaints I hear about mass drivers, I have a real soft spot for them, mainly because of the Ferret.

I missed having missiles, but all in all, it was much more fun to fly than the Hornet, if only because of its guns.

I remember hearing about the Super Ferret, but I don't remember flying it. What was the difference between the Ferret and the Super Ferret?

My favourite aspect of the Ferret and Epee were the center-mounted main guns compared to the wide spread of the Hornet.

I remember hearing about the Super Ferret, but I don't remember flying it. What was the difference between the Ferret and the Super Ferret?

The Super Ferret had 2 HeatSeeker missles, and "new and improved" control systems. And the Ferret beats the utter piss out of thye Hornet so badly, the Hornet has to cry uncle:D . As far as ImRecs: why? Also, the Ferret guns were well done.:)

So what's the deal with the WC4 novel describing the "obsolete" Ferrets as being completely outclassed by Arrows? Even considering the lack of missiles, I'd take two good mass drivers over an Arrow any day.

What's the deal, besides being faster, having better protection (both shields and armor), better guns, better maneuverability, more decoys, and more missiles? Not much. :p

Even though looks arent anything, I think the Ferret Looks a hell of a lot better than the Arrow(Which looks good) Besides, wasent the Arrow downgraded in Wc4?

Well apparently there are few problems in Wing Commander that can't be solved by firing sufficient torpeoes at them.

There's no problem that can't be solved with enough torpedoes. :D

Seriously, I loved the Sabre. It was fast and agile enough to turn with most Kilrathi fighters, and anything in its gunsights died fast. The shields were a little thin, but not too bad.

Edit: Re Arrows and Ferrets, it seems WC designs can be upgraded and updated to various degrees. In WC4, modern Confed Arrows ruled the UBW Rapiers and Ferrets, whereas from the Arena info, it seems Arrows and Rapiers are operating more or less as equals.

I suppose I liked Morningstar more... but probably I's just because I suck with the Sabre :) its shields get chewed through in no time, and usually I've got no rear armour after the first encounter with anything more than two Sartha. really, I feel safer in anything else save the Epee: in the Broadsword with its periferal turrets and loads of shields and armour; in the Rapier with its shields and maneurability; in the Ferret! (probably because Ferret missions usually don't have you catching antimatter Fralthra bolts while playing tag with 5 Gothri).

Even though looks arent anything, I think the Ferret Looks a hell of a lot better than the Arrow(Which looks good) Besides, wasent the Arrow downgraded in Wc4?

It was downgraded from the WC3 version, but we say just one version, in the WC3 novel they describe several arrow versions. It carried less missiles and I think it had reduced shields/armor/speed as well, but it's been a long time since I've looked over the stats. But I do know it had a lot less missiles.

It was downgraded from the WC3 version, but we say just one version, in the WC3 novel they describe several arrow versions. It carried less missiles and I think it had reduced shields/armor/speed as well, but it's been a long time since I've looked over the stats. But I do know it had a lot less missiles.

Is that the variant from Armada?

Back