Morningstar and Mace missile tactics

FleeBalls

Spaceman
I'm wondering about the blast radius for the Mace missle... I remember playing special ops 2 and that damn missle was the best part of the whole game. I'm trying to perfect taking out fighter with the missle, but I dont know what the blast radius is and my test runs arent giving me the responses I want. I'm not even sure at this point if Im able to shoot the missle in flight and make it explode or if the fighters are crahing into it, but I think that the most fighters Ive ever taken down at one time is 3. Is there any trick anyone has figure out to utilize this ordinance more effectively to disable or destroy fighter...and can I effectively shoot down the missle? Oh, and I dont know how much of the remaining episodes is confidential, but hey Eder or Q....there's not gonna be any opportunites to pilot the morningstar in acutal combat, right? Or havent you guys decided yet?

No, no ships other than the Stiletto, Gladius, Rapier, Sabre, and Crossbow will be flyable in the campaign.

And no, shooting down the missile is not a good idea. SO doesn't allow us to do a proper Mace missile, so the way it works is a bit of a trick... which basically means that if you shoot it down or it hits something directly, there won't be a big explosion.

You can't destroy them entirely, the engine doesn't really allow for it... but you certainly can damage them, because the explosion of a mace will destroy a component.

Actually, I'm not sure. In the case of small capships that consist of two components and no hull mesh, a shot in the right place might destroy the ship in one shot.

Yay! I have just tried, and it works! If you attack from the flank, a mace will kill a Ralatha in one shot if it explodes amidships, where the engine and bridge components meet.

I like using it in the sim mission where you have the eight Kamekhs in a diamond formation--properly used, the single Mace can down as many as three of them!

It would be cool if the Mace did destroy capital ships instantly, regardless where it hit. I have tried in Stand-Off Episode 2 simulator. I wonder if the Morningstar will be in Episode 3?

sorry for reopenin the thread but is there a more accurate range you can give us? Im having a bit of a hard time knockin out those kamekhs cuz the mace keeps missin them (btw one mace missile can take out a mining base, just tried it)

I never bothered checking what the exact range is - 13,000-15,000 klicks is simply when I fire the missile, and it seems to work.

(it's actually quite hard to work out the Mace's range, that's why I never bothered - with a normal missile, the range is simply the max speed multiplied by the duration time... but with the Mace, you have to take into account the way the explosion works, which complicates things a lot)

I find around 12k is good. You have take into account how the other ships are moving and try to avoid a direct hit.

I've found that about 14k works well, heading straight at the enemy w/o ABs. I get at the very least one immediate quick kill and another fighter in the yellow or red. About half the time I get two immediate quick kills...I think one time I got three, but I think they were all Sartha.

The trick is to resist the urge to shoot it directly at the enemy. I try to aim a little down and to the left of the closest target, but if I'm not careful I hit one of the other enemies; as Quarto already mentioned, that makes it little more than an expensive dumbfire.

Back