mission4: intrepid

Even if looking back now we're a bit ashamed of the fanboyism we put into Unknown Enemy's design, back then we did it with all our fan enthousiasm to include every "wouldn't it be cool if..." element we could stuff in. (IE, I personnaly pushed for, designed and coded the K'ha'haf "flying rock" mission... really fun, but stupidly unexplanable in the WC universe :p)
Hehe, I dunno, the K'ha'haf mission seems to be pretty reasonable, all things considered - may not make much sense that there were any K'ha'haf to be used, but once we take that leap of faith, the actual mission itself is quite fitting :p.

Personally I love both UE and Standoff very, very much, and I find merit in both games... but we have to admit Standoff is better designed, and still love UE for what it is.
Oh, I do still love UE - that's why I'm so afraid to touch it, because I fear that I'd want to "improve" it, and destroy it in the process. Whatever issues there may be with UE, the most wonderful thing about it, in my eyes, is just how much we managed to figure out. There could never be a Standoff without UE, after all.

Hehe, I dunno, the K'ha'haf mission seems to be pretty reasonable, all things considered - may not make much sense that there were any K'ha'haf to be used, but once we take that leap of faith, the actual mission itself is quite fitting .

Actually, I seem to recall that there was a K'ha'haf mission in some early plan for WC4 -- I think the model is still in the game... certainly not impossible for them to be around. :)

Neat. It's always fun to find out about the stuff that didn't make it into the game... even though there's usually a dozen good reasons why it didn't make it.

Hehe, I dunno, the K'ha'haf mission seems to be pretty reasonable, all things considered - may not make much sense that there were any K'ha'haf to be used, but once we take that leap of faith, the actual mission itself is quite fitting :p.

Oh, I do still love UE - that's why I'm so afraid to touch it, because I fear that I'd want to "improve" it, and destroy it in the process. Whatever issues there may be with UE, the most wonderful thing about it, in my eyes, is just how much we managed to figure out. There could never be a Standoff without UE, after all.

Still, I think UE is a lot of fun, and isn't that what games are for anyway? I still hope you'll do a UE 2 someday. Standoff is probably better is an absolute sense, but I find myself loading up UE more often. I like the over-the-top missions. I do agree that making the Viper cannons kill capships was probably a mistake, considering you had to patch around that to make the story work, but I love the K'ha'haf and other crazy stuff you threw in.

Vandrvekn

Quatro
Talking of UE, ships and cannons...
If Vipers are so ...so..so... Why not equip Scim with tachyons? That'd give it a range and power...

And one more stupid question. That misterious Rapier - what is it? What was it intended to ?
Or was it just a joke?

waiting for answer,
MjavtheGray

Why not equip it with Tachyons? Because UE is finished, and I don't want to change it :p.

The mysterious Rapier... Eder made a model based on the SWC Rapier, and we threw it in as an easter egg. It was also something we intended to further develop in UE2. I always liked the idea of the Border Worlds gradually moving from old hand-me-down ships to new designs - it was something that I wanted to base on the history of inter-war Europe, where a lot of the newly-independent nations put in a lot of effort into the development of their own fighter aircraft (which were, naturally, less impressive than the planes of the established powers - and similarly, the Rapier would have been weaker than its Confed equivalents).

Back