Mark Hamill back with Chris Roberts

"Freddy Prince played me, and we're mistaken for each other all the time so it was a natural choice..." brilliant.
Seriously, that was hilarious! Mark is so cool and down to earth. Not full of himself at all. Good to see a class act like him in hollywood and the Roberts community.

It was very interesting

I have never really considered it before but, alot of people have put money into the SC campaign and are expecting alot back from it and it seams to me that Mark is very aware, perhaps even worried about having some rather large expectations to fullfill, not just in SC but also in the new star wars films

It was nice get a glimpse of Mark and John Rhys-Davies together again. I would love for some of the rest of the WC cast to be given roles.

Interesting that in the Wing Commander vein Admiral Tolwyn was referred to as, "Old Man," especially in the WC:IV novel The Price of Freedom. I wonder if Steve "Old Man" Colton shares a similar personality... the mentality of, "Victory at any cost," that Tolwyn was known for late in his career. Lone survivor of a tragedy... feels very Blair after the Tiger's Claw.

It's ironic that Mark Hamill, who played the hero whom brought down Space Marshall Tolwyn is now the, "Old Man." :D

It's also ironic that PC Gamer is jumping on the bandwagon after a long history of criticism of Star Citizen and Cloud Imperium.

12234850_944845958902024_2081459420099975718_n.jpg

I much more prefer the german GameStar cover.

12241267_944950885558198_5491617464896400963_n.jpg

Couple of more videos for you...

This carrier looks a bit like the Lexington. It looks very sleak, a bit cramped for space.

The carrier's actually "just" a frigate (Idris-class) :) For all the talk of "pocket carriers" in the community, this one's it - presently the Idris class looks like it's got three decks, not counting the bridge module on top, and the biggest deck is devoted to flight operations. The design team goes back and forth on what an operational complement for this ship is, but it's generally hovered around three fighters. People have looked at the geometry and clown-car/tetrised as many as eight or nine medium sized fighters in there, but since it looks like everything happens there (launch, recovery, repair, rearmament and refuel, reconfiguration, maintenance, resupply, etc.), I'm guessing a standard operational loadout isn't more than 3 or 4 medium-sized fighters.

At this level of fidelity, everything's got to fit somewhere. No magic hammerspace. It did bring me back to thinking about the Bonnie Heather and the Gamal Gan, trying to figure out just how or where you'd operate two bombers or heavy fighters off those little ships. Not surprisingly there weren't any landing cutscenes for those ships at the end of your SO1 or SO2 missions...

I'm more than happy with the frigate as a base, but I thought I remembered from way back that S42 would be based on a Bengal carrier (named after the late Paul Steed). Not a complaint in any way, I'm glad this game is being made at all. No doubt S42 will be a highlight of 2016. Very excited to see Hamill on board for this, I'm sure he'll do a great job.

I'm more than happy with the frigate as a base, but I thought I remembered from way back that S42 would be based on a Bengal carrier (named after the late Paul Steed). Not a complaint in any way, I'm glad this game is being made at all. No doubt S42 will be a highlight of 2016. Very excited to see Hamill on board for this, I'm sure he'll do a great job.

Yeah, a big carrier would take a lot more work - not all of which can be solved by just writing or coding more, due to the motion capture/audio performance aspect of things. Not saying there won't be one, but NPC fidelity and representation with a crew that large becomes something of a production issue that needs to be worked out. For anyone who hasn't seen it already, here's the WIP "Morrow Tour" of the Idris-class UEE Stanton, where you meet a lot of the crew. The Morrow Tour introduces you to various crewmen on the UEE Stanton and none of them is a pilot except for "Old Man" Colton :

By comparison, on the Tiger's Claw and the Concordia, you pretty much only interact with your squadron mates, wingmen, Shotglass, Sparks, and Halcyon/Tolwyn. The vast majority of the crew, you not only don't meet, but can't meet. For a brief time in WC2 SO(1? 2?) you do talk to Major Edmund in cutscenes occasionally. In WC3 and WC4 there's Rachel, Pliers, Dekker, Sosa, Tolwyn, Eisen, and Rollins. And that's it. If they're not plot-essential, you don't see them onscreen at all. Presumably there are lots more people operating and running the rest of the carrier and you don't meet them.

Bigger ships for the storyline? I don't know, probably at some point, but either we're going to get used to most NPC crew being uninteresting cardboard cutouts or maybe CIG is giving itself time to make the redshirts on bigger ships at least a little more interesting than

[NAME] - "I am a guard!"
[JOB] - "I guard the city of Montor!"
[MONTOR] - "Yes, Montor!"
[CITY] - "Stay out of trouble!"

Disclaimer: You might think I would know more, but honestly, I don't.

"We don't own this place, but we have an understanding with the people who do..."

Back