Making the Game: WCU Map & Privateer 3 (September 1, 2009)

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
For our final Visio file, here's a real prize: an updated version of the Wing Commander Universe map--Captain Johnny has added the new sector which had been planned as the setting as Privateer 3. The most interesting part is that he put it exactly where we fans later placed the Landreich Sector. Great minds...

These updates are thanks to John "Captain Johnny" Guentzel, who provided several CD image archives of material used by the Wing Commander Prophecy development team!

Please note that the "Download" link points to an older-style Visio file; these do not open in Microsoft's current Visio viewer. We have converted the VSD into a graphic which can be viewed by clicking on the document thumbnail.

WCU Map & Privateer 3
Download (29 kb)

Date: July 23, 1997
Project: Wing Commander Prophecy
Donated By: John Guentzel
Pages: n/a

--
Original update published on September 1, 2009

Last edited by a moderator:
this is nothing short of phenomenal. man.. that is one seriously thorough map

I dunno, I have mixed feelings about it.

On the one hand, it includes the new sectors! Which is important to me since I'm working on a post WCSO timeline that includes the never-published material.

On the other hand, it displaces Landreich, so where is Landreich now?

On the OTHER hand (maybe a foot now?) it's more 'official' and complete then anything else we have.

On the OTHER OTHER hand, it's missing some systems that by P3 have been named in official sources, like Kreiger being the official link between Luyten and Proxima. (This I can forgive since it seems to be a WCP era map, given that it traces Midway's route on it in blue/red ink.)

So I dunno what to think. I would love to see LOAF re-work the universe map to include both Landreich and the new sector, but I'm not sure that's entirely possible (nor that he has the interest and/or the time).

But then I'd like to see an overhaul of the mapping system to begin with.

So I dunno what to think. I would love to see LOAF re-work the universe map to include both Landreich and the new sector, but I'm not sure that's entirely possible (nor that he has the interest and/or the time).

But then I'd like to see an overhaul of the mapping system to begin with.

I second that, I would love to see the new sector in the universe maps.

On the OTHER hand (maybe a foot now?) it's more 'official' and complete then anything else we have.

Neither this map nor the CIC's version are in any way 'canon'. As you may notice, this one contradicts the published map in a number of ways... since it's an offshoot of the original concept work and not the final product.

I do intend to revisit the map section, but probably not in this way. I would like to develop a high resolution (possibly interactive) online version of the published map. Anything else would be included as errata -- places mentioned in the games but not in the map, alternate spellings, jump lines, etc. A map archive would have the various published maps and the various unused 'lost' maps (like this one) as an index.

I do intend to revisit the map section, but probably not in this way. I would like to develop a high resolution (possibly interactive) online version of the published map.

I would offer to help with this but all my skills are in PHP and SQL, and this kind of project would probably be better suited for FLASH.

I know Fuller and I fooled around with setting up something like this once, we were using (with permission) the CIC Maps, and wanted to be able to do 'historical' maps, where you pressed a button and the map changed (via an overlay) that showed the location of the major advances and changes in systems throughout the war.

I think we canned it because we couldn't find enough information about which systems were changing hands in the background.

EDIT: I'm assuming future projects of this magnitude will be worked into the 'pedia project?

EDIT: I'm assuming future projects of this magnitude will be worked into the 'pedia project?

Not necessarily. The wikipedia system as it is wouldn't handle what was described, and it's not the same type of thing where people are constantly glopping on and tweaking and expanding bits of information. Of course all projects could get input and support from any fans, but I don't see any direct connection with the WC wikipedia.

Not necessarily. The wikipedia system as it is wouldn't handle what was described, and it's not the same type of thing where people are constantly glopping on and tweaking and expanding bits of information. Of course all projects could get input and support from any fans, but I don't see any direct connection with the WC wikipedia.

I only through that in there because LOAF mentioned the ship section being worked into the 'pedia.

Back