Losing path?

Fruitcake

Spaceman
Just wondering, considering I've only followed this project for a week now, is there going to be a losing path included in Wing Commander Saga? Yeah, probably a stupid question, I know, but: considering the possibilities of the Freespace engine I would love to see some last-ditch effort mission where you retreat to Proxima (when you've screwed everything up), and give those cats everything mankind has left. Kinda like the WC 3 losing path - but because of the average computer specs at the time you didn't have any Confed support. I like big, spectacular battles. Don't we all? :p

By the way, you're doing awesome work, dudes.

Fruitcake said:
Just wondering, considering I've only followed this project for a week now, is there going to be a losing path included in Wing Commander Saga? Yeah, probably a stupid question, I know, but: considering the possibilities of the Freespace engine I would love to see some last-ditch effort mission where you retreat to Proxima (when you've screwed everything up), and give those cats everything mankind has left. Kinda like the WC 3 losing path - but because of the average computer specs at the time you didn't have any Confed support. I like big, spectacular battles. Don't we all? :p

By the way, you're doing awesome work, dudes.

Well . . . there's not much of a "losing path, then get back on the winning path" redemption that can be done with the engine, but a "you lose the war" path is definately doable. All I can say is that we're working on it, and some stuff has been written, but it's not remotely close to finishing yet. Another thing I can tell you, is that any mission series involving this will involve the Terran Defense Fleet.

Right now, I'm backing away from the script and taking a look at the big picture, because too much big, spectular space battles in every mission in the campaign would just get boring. I like a mix of patrols, fleet defense, alpha strikes, etc etc. Patrols are definately doable now in the engine, considering the most recent advancements that was done in terms of programming in autopilot and nav points.

the main problem is: once you are on the losing path, there is no coming back :( You can't load an earlier saved game, since FS engine only saves your current progress.

I feared something like that, as it was the same in Freespace 1. Never played part 2 though, so I hoped otherwise. Hey, if you guys still need a voice-actor for one of the pilots or plot characters, I'd be glad to help out. I'm from the Netherlands though, so I hope you won't mind my accent... :rolleyes: :D :p

just send a sample over ;)

Moonsword: the only thing is that you have to control time compression manually right now... so you have to be VERY carefully or you will be short down before you can blink ;)

Yes. More kitty voices. I'll just finish my ace lines, sometime in the not-so-distant future. I actually have them all recorded, I just have to finish the process on them.

Back