Looking to Separate files

Milatry

Petty Officer
Im would like to separarte the all the ships in Unknown Enemy put I don't know what file go's with what can someone help me?

can no one help me separate the ships from the Unknown Enemy files so I can save some space on me hard drive and not but in a ship I don't want to be in the game

Milatry said:
can no one help me separate the ships from the Unknown Enemy files so I can save some space on me hard drive and not but in a ship I don't want to be in the game

Save space on your hard drive? I don't think anyone can understand what you're trying to ask. Start with putting a period between your sentences and rereading what you've typed to make sure the correct words made it to the screen.

ok I am trying to separate each and every ship file in Unknown Enemy. so I don't use up alot of HD space and I don't put in the ships I don't want to use. like for instance if I wanted to use the Ferret instead of putting in all of the ueship2.tre file all I want is all the files for the Ferret (ship, mesh, mat, pal) and nothing more. and I ask this is because I have a small HD and with all the other programs and things I download I try to use as little HD space I possibly can.

So basicly you just want to save HD space, you're not trying to mod UE or anything like that ? Every file we distributed with UE is necessary, we didn't make a huge package just for the fun of it.

How big is your hard drive? Unknown Enemy is not a large pack to begin with. My web browser cache can generate more data in a day than the total file size of UE.

On the other hand, aren't a lot of files from SO obsolete with UE? One probably could delete some of them and still have UE working?

cff said:
On the other hand, aren't a lot of files from SO obsolete with UE? One probably could delete some of them and still have UE working?

I just can't see deleting individual ships saving enough space to make it worth it. The amount of space you'ld save would border on negligible. The largest file portion of secret ops is the sound files which in the original installing speech was optional.

No sorry I just noticed that I forgot to say that I what to separate the files so I could but them in to Secret Ops to fly them. Not delet anything with Unknown Enemy. So I don't have all those ships form UE in Secret Ops along with all the other ships that are in the game. Thats what I'm talking about separating the file for UE.

ok I know I wasn't thinking straight and didn't say just what I wanted but can no one help me separate these files?

thanks iceman16 but I know how to do that what I what is to separate each file by themselfd like only the EPEE and all the files that go with it. and not have to extract all of ueships1/2/3.tres and putting all of them into SO. Like if I downloaded the ships from SO Ship section at the CIC is what I'm asking about.

Well, don't expect us to provide a precise list of what files are needed for which ship, that would simply be too time-consuming.

However, there is, I suppose, a relatively simple way of doing what you're asking. It would still be time-consuming, but only for you, so I don't mind :p. Basically, take the ship file from \ships in ueshipsX.tre for whatever ship you're trying to import into SO, and try to run the game with it (of course, you'll need to get the game to actually use the ship, for example by using the ship swapping tool in the ship editor to replace one of the existing SO ships). The game will, of course, crash - it will tell you that it's missing the mesh file. So, you take the mesh file from \mesh in ueshipsX.tre, and put it into the game. Run it again, and naturally, it will crash again, complaining about a missing texture file. Take the texture file from \mat in ueshipsX.tre, and put it into the game. Run it again - at this point, depending on which ship we're talking about, the game might run, or it will crash complaining about another missing texture file (and in some cases, more missing mesh files). If this happens, simply repeat the process until the game is happy.

Back