Linux, screenshots, and visual settings

Sphynx

Commodore
OK, that's a fairly ecletic list of things to address, but here it is nonetheless. :)

Recently, we have received several e-mails asking when a Linux version of the Wing Commander Saga Prologue will be released. A few bugs that have slipped into the SCP version 3.6.9 have been causing some annoying issues for the Linux version, and we are delaying the Linux release until those can be resolved and we can run a quick round of testing to make sure they have truly been worked out. The reasons we have been able to release the Windows prologue is because In addition, since the OSX version together with the Linux version are based on a newer code than the Windows version, we will be releasing an updated OSX version once the bugs have been resolved.

In the mean time, we would like to share a few new screenshots with you. The first six are action shots from one of our simulator missions in which the player is desperately trying to save the carrier Ticonderoga from an intense Kat assault. In the next three screenshots (run through an ATI post process filter), some of our nebulae provide a backdrop for a conflict between Confed and Kilrathi capital ships. Confed comes out on top… this time. You can find these new screenshots at our website . The wallpaper section of our website have also been updated.

Also, we have had several people ask us for which settings we think Saga looks best in. Tolwn recommends the following:

-fov 0.65 -spec_exp 7.0 -spec_tube 5.0 -spec_point 8.6 -spec_static 3.0 -ambient_factor 75

Just paste these into the "flags" section of the launcher and see what you think.

I like those settings too, but 75 is just too dark for a Wing Commander game IMO. I like it at 100, or at least 85.

I like those settings too, but 75 is just too dark for a Wing Commander game IMO. I like it at 100, or at least 85.

as said above: it is just my personal taste. You can set ambient factor to 85 or even 100. It is up to you. Far more important are other values - they control the look of the specular mapping.

The reasons we have been able to release the Windows prologue is because In addition, since the OSX version

"The reasons we have been able to release the Windows prologue is because ..."

Something got cut off. What are the reasons you were able to release the Windows prologue?

I like those settings too, but 75 is just too dark for a Wing Commander game IMO.

What a surprise. :)

@ ChrisReid,

That's strange, but you're right. Somehow that sentence got cut off. Anyways, the reason we were able to make the Windows release is because it uses a slightly different version code that doesn't have the bug as far as I understand. I'm sure Tolwyn could explain more.

Back