Let's Make This Brief... (April 22, 2008)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
The new poll asks which briefing rooms were most memorable. They mostly have about the same items in roughly the same configuration, but the atmosphere and circumstances of the missions we faced in each varied quite a bit. They sure look darn cool all pictured side by side like this though.

Our old poll asked what series was being reworked for EA's Project Redlime. Wing Commander definitely won our tally, but little new information has surfaced since the poll went up to hint one way or another. System Shock and Crusader came in second and third, which suggested people voted a mix of what they thought the unannounced EA game actually was and partially what they hoped it would be.

What franchise do you think Project RedLime will belong to?

Crusader
9.61%
orangeblock.gif

CyberMage
0.72%
orangeblock.gif

Dungeon Keeper
3.23%
orangeblock.gif

Populous
1.36%
orangeblock.gif

Road Rash
3.23%
orangeblock.gif

Syndicate
4.45%
orangeblock.gif

System Shock
11.69%
orangeblock.gif

Ultima
5.88%
orangeblock.gif

Wing Commander
55.95%
orangeblock.gif

Other
3.87%
orangeblock.gif

Ended on April 22, 2008 | 1394 votes

--
Original update published on April 22, 2008

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm surprised how well the Midway is doing. Every other one has a giant screen or holographic map table of some sort. The reasons for implementing ICIS totally make sense, but it's not as cool as the others because of it.

Hmmm....tough choice.

For me it really came down between WC I and WC II. I chose WC II, because it seemed to have more detail and color to it (Plus its my favorite game in the series). With WC III and IV there were just too few people in the room, and they didn't feel as right (although I guess it makes sense since Blair is getting the officer's brief). For Prophecy and Secret Ops it felt so impersonal with the computer giving you the brief.

I think the briefing rooms for WC1 and WC2 has you too far away from the briefing officer. Thats a lot of wasted space, unless it is like the school classroom and the cool kids all sit in the back. My vote would actually go for one not listed. The briefing room on the Mjollner sounded pretty interesting.

Cerberus was a huge disappointment for me. Fresh off the Midway with its awesome, to A single room... Just didn't cut it for me.

No contest. TCS Tiger's Claw. Always thought WC1 had the best briefings in the series. WC2 is second, but I always thought they skimped a little on its briefings in comparison to how great I thought they were in WC1. Same with WC2's funerals, I think WC1's are much better.

This is a great poll. The only change I think I would have made would have been to include pictures from the pilot briefing rooms for WC3 and 4 to make it a direct comparison to 1 and 2. As it stands now, we're really seeing something closer to the bridge or the ship's CIC whereas in WC 1 and 2, we're watching from the perspective of the 'air group.'

Great shots, though.

I would go for WCIII, because you had your private officer breifing with Eisen & Rollins (and Paladin and Tolwyn :) ) and then headed up the overall briefing with the rest of the squadrons
"...and so, these are the mission objectives. Oh and one last thing."

But for sentimental reasons I would go for WCI (on the Amiga iseem to remember Halycon had a Grey uniform? )

what about the briefing room in wc3 for when you're briefing the squadron? before you say "one last thing... hobbes i want you on my wing for this one"

This is a great poll. The only change I think I would have made would have been to include pictures from the pilot briefing rooms for WC3 and 4 to make it a direct comparison to 1 and 2. As it stands now, we're really seeing something closer to the bridge or the ship's CIC whereas in WC 1 and 2, we're watching from the perspective of the 'air group.'

I think it's probably the Operations Planning Center, which is referenced in False Colors as being a compartment just off the CIC. Bondarevsky mentions that when he ran Tarawa's Airwing he spent most of his time there. The differance seems to be the Jason mentions the OPC has no consoles and terminals with blinking lights, and the WCIII room does. My guess would be that since the Victory is an older carrier compared to the Tarawa that it's a relatively new concept for Confederation carriers, but that's reallly just speculation. It's also possible that they named an extra room OPC on the Tarawa simply because it was a transport and they had the space and didn't want to convert it to anything else.

I concur with some of the posts above, I enjoyed the WC3 "One last thing..." room the best, and think it's more beftting of the briefing room then the room where you talk to Eisen. It also (as mentioned above) fits in better with the others from WCI and WCII.

Cerberus was a huge disappointment for me. Fresh off the Midway with its awesome, to A single room... Just didn't cut it for me.

The Midway with its awesome two rooms? Maybe I'll give you three.

I concur with some of the posts above, I enjoyed the WC3 "One last thing..." room the best, and think it's more beftting of the briefing room then the room where you talk to Eisen. It also (as mentioned above) fits in better with the others from WCI and WCII.

The Victory is in a strong second place, so either people like Eisen's tactical briefing room, or the picture really doesn't matter and people can consider either/both inclusively.

There's no pilot room in WC4, but the WC3 one is there, along with backwards shots of Prophecy:

The Victory is in a strong second place, so either people like Eisen's tactical briefing room, or the picture really doesn't matter and people can consider either/both inclusively.

I agree with you on that. I personally like the "One last thing..." briefing room with the rest pilots, as I've always enjoyed that part of the briefing, even though its short.

There's no pilot room in WC4, but the WC3 one is there, along with backwards shots of Prophecy:

I don't particularly like the ones in WC4 on the Intrepid and Lexington, with the lack of a general pilots briefing in the latter, and the same thing with the former, except the pilots gathered in the briefing room all at once when Eisen was absent.... I can't really say anything about Prophecy as I can’t discern from the still photos in the gba version whether I like it or not.

You can download all the Prophecy movies from https://www.wcnews.com/news/update/8596

The briefings will be more like WC1/2 since you're not in a position to really discuss the strategic aspects of the missions with the ship's captain.

Back