Language used for Wing Commander Prophecy/Secret Ops source codes

Come on, WCP is the easiest WC game... and you have the novice dificulty... It's surelly a lot easier than decompiling the thing.

I personally use walkthroughs a lot to check if i missed anything in that level/area/etc.

I found it just a nice option to have the invulnerability option as part of the launcher for WC1/2 in KS...

I was never a big fan of cheat codes except in things like doom and quake because sometimes it's fun to load yourself up and go crazy on certain levels....and no clipping has probably saved almost everyone countless hours at some point...

I meant my comment about cheating sarcastically, giant pile of stupids. As in "weren't we dumb to worry about things like that?'.

There are lots and lots of people in the world who *aren't* hardcore video game players - and especially in the case of Wing Commander, there are lots of people who just want to see the video sequences or follow the story. You can not enjoy playing the game (double plus so now that nobody buys joysticks) and still enjoy the series.

Heck, there's lots of times where people just *can't* play the games - when I was blind I alt-w'd my way through the games to listen to the FMV sequences. Whether or not to use a built in cheat code is *certainly* not a moral issue. If you personally refuse to cheat then fine, you've got an okay head on your shoulders... but you can't possibly expect to force that kind of belief on other people as enlightened.

I think cheat codes are evil :p They do ruin games for me. I know no one forces me to use them, but sometimes I just can't resist.

If it is a game I really like, I force myself not to use them until I beat the game. After that, they are fun for a while (massive weapons on the first level etc) but doing that quickly gets boring and I usually end up not playing the game anymore.

They do have their good side though. If a game is totally starting to suck, I want it to be over as fast as possible and sometimes I am still a bit interested in the story. Project IGI 2 was a good example.. That game was so un-fun, after several levels I just cheated through it to see what happened. Friend of mine thinks I'm nuts: if the game sucks, he just stops playing :D

I agree with you LOAF. There tons of people out there who sometimes want to play the game for some other reason than playing it. There are games with good stories but the games themselves can be pretty bad or just annoying.

Sad thing is I think in 1996 there was that one guy who was really all religous about not cheating...I want to say he was in one of those suicide cults who thought that cheating would bring the demise of us all....but there all dead now so cheat away!

My jaw is hanging open in amazement...

People, whether cheat codes are bad or not really has nothing to do with this. The point is, this guy is suggesting something that is very difficult to do even for technically skilled people, and utterly pointless. Saying "oh, I think I'll reverse engineer Prophecy so I can add in cheat codes - but what's it written in?" is like saying "oh, I think I'll modify my car to make it fly - but what kind of engine does it have?"

Not only that, but it's also like he's asking what internal combustion is. Should Kelly pull this off, my hat is also off, and I would urge him/her to join one of the current Wing Commander mods being developed.

It is very strange. If I was looking for cheat codes and didn't know they were here at the CIC I would have simply searched the internet using a search engine and a search string something like "Wing Commander Prophecy cheats".

Bah. It's an extremely difficult task to decompile applications. Which is why most people just disassemble a program rather than decompile - the resulting assembly tends to be much easier to analyze than the convoluted decompiled output. A good disassembler will also detect what compiler was used and remove library functions from the code to give you less code to analyze.

As for the ethics of cheating - I personally believe that any game where I get stuck, and can't find my way out is a failure. I'm not going to spend a week replaying the same spot just to progress (unless I was really bored). I don't have time to "work" at a game - I want to progress through the game, and if I get stuck, well, I'll be disappointed. I may have an hour to play a game one day, 20 minutes the next. etc., and I'd make sure that time is used productively. If I have to cheat, so be it. Maybe I'll replay it again later now that I've gone through it. But my pile of games I haven't completed because I've gotten bored getting stuck is huge.

All in all, the first post was just a stupid internet kid asking stupid internet questions, and he did it just to impress us.

Back