Landscapes (backgrounds) for uninhabitate planets

Cyberion

Master of Orion
Well, since PR and WCU had been splitted. I've decided that I would post a thread about landscapse that I was doing for WCU thingy in this new WCU forum.

Some info for new readers:
I volunteered to create some onplanet backgrounds for the uninhabitate planets on which you may land in WCU.

The current status report (will update it as a new stuff will be done):

• Update: 15-March-2005

Barren - 4 (2)
    Desert (red rock, dunes) - 6 (6)
    Forest - 6 (3)
    Mountaines - 4 (2)
    Snow - 3 (1)
    Toxic - 2 (0)
    Lunar type - 3 (0)
    Water - 5 (0)
    -----------------------------------
    Overall - 33 (14) backgrounds

*note: number in brackets corresponds to the amount of backgrounds that already were created. Number without brackets shows the needed amount.

Here is one of the future backgrounds, so you may evalute quality and tell me few motivating words ;) (this one relates to the Desert type (red rock))
10nx.jpg

hmm i doubt that anyone built landing platforms on uninhabitate planets ;) that's just you looking through the window of your ship into the wastelands ;)

btw what about having such thing as keeping cockpit screen (of the ship player has) during its landing and staying at the surface of the uninhabitate planet? that way player will defenetly have a feeling that he is inside his spacejet gazing at the vast territory of nothing ;) Would be a cool feature to implement i think (just an idea on impulse while was writing the answer)

WOW!!!!

Right now if you try to land on an uninhabited planet, it shows the planet, a satellite, your ship docked to it and the screen says "Parking Orbit". Clicking on the satellite gives you jump fuel for 50 credits and brings up a GNN news terminal. (Try it -- the Gemini system in the patch is a bit of a proving ground for things, land on the Minimal planet Fondotoce to see what I mean) I like this idea a lot better though!

If it would help, I can create some planets with Mojoworld for various systems configurations, and perhaps find one or another interesting bit of terrain to render.

Quicktime movies can also be created (landing approach), though I don't know if they'd be of any use (and render time stretches into days or weeks).

ETA: Nice desert view - I like the shadows, thout I wonder how it would look if the shadows were longer? Reminds me of the Badlands.

spiritplumber said:
whoa O_O, landing sequences? overkill... thanks though....

WHAT?! Landing sequences are never overkill! They were essential additions to WC up until they removed them in WC3 I think.

Back