Landreich Republic

Aron Figaro

Spaceman
Hey all. For some reason this has been on my mind lately - where can I find more info on the Landreich? I've seen almost nothing about them before, aside from the bits in the CIC database, and the odd mention by a bartender in Privateer...

it would be pretty ODD if a bartender in Priv mentioned the Landreich. Ahahah, I'm soooo funny.

LOAF provided you with "some information".

Now for the non-smartass reply. The Landreich was created, with OK from Origin, by William Fortschen (sp?) for the purposes (IMO) of having a non-Confed human body to play with, plot-wise. It'd be pretty hard to hear a mention of it in Privateer, since the game came out before the first mention of them, in Fleet Action (IIRC).

Well, you'd be wrong. They don't mention the Landreich in Privateer. You can find more in the novels.

I think a better choice for information on Landreich would be the novel False Colours, as most of the novel takes place in that area.

To throw my own cents into the theories, I would say that the Landreich was created because Forstchen knew that the Kilrathi would eventually be defeated, and wanted to have another enemy waiting in the wings to continue making Confed uncomfortable (this was probably where the Border Worlds originated).

The dramatic purpose behind the Landreich is more broad -- they're a human group that you can do anything to. Having created them he can take them in any direction he wants later on -- something he wouldn't have the option of doing to the Confederation.

Okay. Thanks for the bit of info, I read Fleet Action and don't remember any mention of them (but you did say it was brief), but I haven't read False Colours yet. Once I get my hands on a copy of that (I try every used bookstore I see, still no luck, my library scored a copy of Fleet Action) I'll be set. :)

He didn't say that at all -- what he said was that the first mention of the Landreich was in Fleet Action. Most of the novel takes place in or involves the Landreich.

Back