KS - CD 4 corrupt

Worf

Vice Admiral
I'm the lucky owner of Kilrathi Saga, but when I scanned the CDs for errors, I had a lot of trouble reading CD 4. Cleaning it, I could read more of it, but I still have trouble reading the WC3MUSIC.TRE file. Actually, I can't read beyond that file (but I'm assuming it's the last file to be tested).

So is there any way to get a copy of this CD or an image of it or just this file (so I can burn my own copy)? I checked the other CDs, and they read well enough for me to make copies, but this one is iffy (and all the other WC3MUSIC.TRE files (on the other CDs) are different sizes, and thus are probably different).

Just CD #4. Just WC3MUSIC.TRE on CD #4 I need. It's a real copy, I even got the calendar and such...

Is it really different? Have you tried substituting one of the other ones?

Worf said:
I'm the lucky owner of Kilrathi Saga, but when I scanned the CDs for errors, I had a lot of trouble reading CD 4...
Nevermind THAT, dude; the bottom line here is, how does the game PLAY for you?...
If it plays OK, then reading data files from the CD is entirely a secondary matter...

Perhaps he wants to check the CD for errors before making a copy. If I somehow managed to get a copy of KS, I'd want to play from copies, not the originals CDs. I already do that with all my WC CDs...

Got that right. These CDs were pressed in 1996. When the fastest CD-ROM drive was around oh, 16x, and the average was probably 8x or slower. Plus, when I did the check, the CD-ROM drives spun up and down a lot - during the movie files, this would cause annoying skips and other fun things to happen, so I'd consider the game not playable if the story wasn't viewable. At least with a CD-R I'd get more consistent read speeds.

As for the file, I believe it's the music to WC3 (yay, I'm so smart...). The files on all the other Cds are of different sizes, so I can safely assume that they're different in the end. Like I said, I only need this one file from that one CD. (And the other CDs don't read so well either. But at least they're readable enough for me to get a CD image to which I can make a copy!). It's just music, I know, but if you've read the MUSICED.HLP file - "Its purpose is purely whimsical or for humor’s sake--maximum enjoyment of the product is obtained by using what music has been
supplied." so I''d like to experience that :D.

If anyone's curious, I'm in Richmond, BC, Canada (yeah, same general area as TC). Of course, I can probably set up an FTP dropbox or something.

Thanks Viper61

Viper61 gave me a copy of the corrupted file. Now it's off to use the work CD burner to burn myself some new KS CDs!

Back