Kilrathi Saga, Win98, 21" monitor

NoMention

Rear Admiral
I put together a Win98 machine so that I could easily play my favorites like Kilrathi Saga, Privateer 1 + 2, WC 4 DVD via Dxr2. I am using a Gateway VX1100 21" monitor and have noticed that when I launch any of the games from Kilrathi Saga, the displayed screen is blown up too much and most of it is off the screen. I don't know if it is the video card or the monitor. I am using an ATI Rage Fury AGP w/32MB ram. The picture looks like it is zoomed and if I move the cursor around on the title screen, it will scroll. This looks like what happens when the desktop is too big for the video card and windows allows you to use it as a dynamic desktop but kind of like the opposite is happening. I don't remember this happening on my old 17" monitor... Any thoughts?

NoMention

I'd try to lower the resolution to 640x480 prior to starting KS.

I will have to see if that monitor even supports the 640x480 resolution. I'll have to try tonight when I get home. Thanks for the suggestion though. I will report back my findings.

NoMention

Well if it DOESN'T then you have the reason for your problems (XP also might not want to go that low even if your screen could).

I took a CD with test software to the merchant to test the TFTs with prior to buying. The WC1 demo was on that CD exactly for that purpose - to see if 320x200 is possible...

I'd also check what version of DirectX you're using. With 6.0 and below, KS would run fine on my Win98SE machine, but with higher it would often require me to set my monitor manually when I wanted to play. I also noticed that this is less of a problem when I switched my video card to a GeForce 2. I used to have an ATI 128 Pro, perhaps this is an ATI problem?

I'd say it might be an aTI driver prob or a ATI rage specific, cause I don't have any probs with the resolution with my ATI 9700Pro and DX8.1 or dx9.

Back