Just wanted to check in...

Dundradal

Frog Blast the Vent Core!
Just figured I'd poke you guys for some info on Ep 4, how things are going, any new time tables (no matter how unrealistic or just made up for fun!), etc, etc.

Don't take away from working on Standoff to answer this though. My mouth still salivates every time I think about what is coming up in Ep 4 and 5. Keep up the good work.

Well, things are going, which I suppose is at least pretty good :p. I know it's been more than a month since our last website update, and we are planning to do something about that, too - just haven't gotten around to it.

So, what exactly have we been able to get done? Well, as I mentioned at the start of March, all the winning path missions for episode 4 are done - obviously, some of them still need to be tested and balanced a bit, but they're still very close to final (minus the briefings - I haven't done most of the briefings yet... I hate them, and I'll take any excuse to leave them for later, even though they're not really all that complicated).

On the losing path, things are still a bit more out of shape - I actually did two missions this weekend, and yesterday I started another one, which I hope to get done today or tomorrow, along with another mission. That will still leave a few (can't remember how many right now - probably around five-six) missions to be done, though, and some of those won't be done for quite a while. As you can see from what I wrote, it's not an issue of missions being time-consuming - by now, I've reached the stage where I can literally get a mission done from start to finish in one four-hour session (though more complicated missions still take more), but the issue is finding time for that four-hour session :). Back in February, I set myself a deadline to finish all the winning missions before the end of the month, and I did - but sitting over Standoff every evening for three weeks non-stop is not something I'm capable of repeating more than once every three months or so.

(oh, and if the above makes it sound like I'm the only mission coder we have available... well, unfortunately, that is indeed the case at the moment :(. Both Pierre and Tango did a few missions for episode 4 last year, but these days neither of them has any time at all for modding, so at least for the time being, I'm all alone on that front)

Of course, missions are just half of it - there's still a few graphical items that need to be done, and most of the FMV scenes. Eder is making progress on those - but unfortunately, he takes his university studies a lot more seriously than I took mine (back during UE, I don't remember any university assignments that I did not leave until the night before they were due :p), and consequently the FMV is likely to still take a while. But then again, usually he is able to make significant progress during breaks, and I do believe there's an Easter holiday coming up, so...

Well I guess good thing schools get out in May then! I recently started my graduate program and I can agree that I have very little time for anything other than reading and writing on military history, which I've noticed has turned me off to a lot of the games I've been playing lately, as all involve combat and the last thing I want to think about after reading hundreds of pages on combat is more combat. Vicious circle I tell ya. And I didn't realize that assignments weren't meant to be started BEFORE the night they were do. I'll have to look into that.

Sounds like you guys are making good progress, though. As long as you guys keep producing the high quality work you have, you can take as much time as you need, well as long as it's not you know too much time.

Keep it up Standoff. You know, I have this friend who's a huge Wingnut but he refuses to play Standoff until you guys release episode 5, no matter how much I rag him to play episodes 1 - 3. I think he just can't handle playing episodes 1 - 3 and then being forced to wait a few months, he'd just rather not know what he's missing heh. Anyway, for his sake... keep it up! ;)

Keep it up Standoff. You know, I have this friend who's a huge Wingnut but he refuses to play Standoff until you guys release episode 5, no matter how much I rag him to play episodes 1 - 3. I think he just can't handle playing episodes 1 - 3 and then being forced to wait a few months, he'd just rather not know what he's missing heh. Anyway, for his sake... keep it up! ;)
Hehehe, as someone who refuses to play X-Wing Alliance, X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter or TIE Fighter until I finally get around to finishing X-Wing itself, I can definitely understand that :). But hey, look at it this way - he's been waiting for episode 5 for less than three years since the release of episode 1... and me, I've been waiting to play TIE Fighter since 1993 :p.

Well I guess good thing schools get out in May then!
Hehe, well, we'll see what Eder gets done, but his holidays always seem to be of the "don't blink or you'll miss it" variety. Either that, or maybe he's just really lazy and pretends to be hard at work :D.

Yeah, my winter vacations start in early July, and end in early August. It's still plenty of time to get stuff done, though, and the vast majority of my Standoff progress has always taken place during my vacations.

We do have an easter break this week, and I've been working on some of the FMV conversations, which is a pretty tedious but fairly predictable process (as opposed to coming up with a new ship model, which involves wrestling half a dozen different, but equally ill-tempered and obscure software, and then hammering the final version of the model down the game engine's throat until it stops burping it back out. That is a pretty accurate analogy. I wish someone would just come up with a "Export to Vision Engine" plugin for 3dsmax).

hey guys i just hope the next ep. gets done soon the wait is KILLLING ME!!!!
it wouldnt hurt to update the fans with a news report even a short one just something to show progress

the only other thing i have to say is this "Gentlemen good luck and godspeed"

Back