Just played through Secret Ops again

Nomad Terror

Rear Admiral
Damn this was such a high quality game for being free (at the time).

Regardless of the lack of FMV, this game really tells a fine story through the external fiction and in-flight comms. Plus whoever they casted to voice Captain Murkins did an exceptional job. His conversation with the captain of the Shy Meadows is absolutely hilarious.

Of course, other than Casey being replaced by a completely new voice actor, Stiletto and Amazon did not seem to have any new lines. I know Amazon wasn't very central to Prophecy, but Stiletto certainly was. The game seems to revolve around Maestro, Spyder and Zero. Casey never has any plot-specific comms.

Did Origin have a hard time pulling in any of the old cast other than Neill, Adam and Brad or was the story meant to center around those three?

Regardless of the lack of FMV, this game really tells a fine story through the external fiction and in-flight comms. Plus whoever they casted to voice Captain Murkins did an exceptional job. His conversation with the captain of the Shy Meadows is absolutely hilarious.

That one was great indeed. :D

I also like his line at the beginning of Alien Science Crew.

Hopefully sometime in the new year I'll start my replay of SO. I'm currently on disc 2 of WCP.

One thing I noticed while replaying WCP. Our first strike mission (flying the Shrike) is against a cruiser and a carrier! A cruiser and a carrier!?!!? Wow. I'd forgotten about this entirely. Add to that the fact that torpedo carrying Vaktoth's accompany you on the strike.

It's actually really great replaying WCP after so many years (I should be ashamed but it's been at least 7 years), every mission has the feeling of playing it for the first time again. What a great feeling.

"We shall take the carrier in the name of vengeance!"

Stiletto and Maestro's banter thereafter is rather strange. Sugar?!

Stiletto is just annoying period. I recently got to the part where Hawk dies and watching that scene for the first time in a while it made me want to choke her out. I'm already VERY tired of hearing "We've got them by the balls" and I'm not even on disc 3 yet.

And is it me or are the Midway pilots the biggest alcoholics we've encountered? The Claw had its RecRoom, but it didn't seem like they were drinking as much as the Midway crew. They are taking shots after almost every mission.

"after mission" is the key concern. Drinking alcohol to wind down after being in combat (not just in a combat zone) is a long-standing tradition for military personnel. And except for a certain Colonel-cum-Commodore, people don't fly when trashed.

Stiletto is just annoying period. I recently got to the part where Hawk dies and watching that scene for the first time in a while it made me want to choke her out. I'm already VERY tired of hearing "We've got them by the balls" and I'm not even on disc 3 yet.

Very true, but you have to admit that her death scream is a breath of fresh air when you take her out.

I'm playing through WCP for the first time ever right now (literally right now) and I'm throughly enjoying the FMV's again, after spending all my time just with WCSO.

Gosh, I'm a little disappointed! The hero of the Confederation gets captured and hardly anyone says or does anything...did I miss a Video in there somewhere?

Are you sure about Stiletto? I thought she recorded *something*...

This was mostly an issue of money, though - as you can well imagine EA wasn't interested in spending too much on what was essentially a free game. It's kind of impressive that they got back who they did, all things considered.

Petrarca refused to reprise the Casey role. We'll probably never know his side of the story, but people I've spoken to say he was indignant about being asked to do (and be paid less for) voiceovers instead of star in another live action shoot.

Stiletto doesn't say anything beyond the generic in-flight lines recorded for Prophecy. Funny, I didn't really notice her absence in the plot-related communications for Secret Ops.

Hmm - I guess she still agreed/was paid to let them reuse her comms, then... and Casey didn't.

That makes sense, since even as a voice actor you must be rightly compensated for the use of your work.

Though it's kind of hard to imagine that Petrarca would not agree to at least have his generic comms reused.

But as you say we'll probably never know the whole story.

I'm sorry, but I must ask:

The only places to visit on the Midway are the Rec Room and the hallway outside? There aren't any other rooms that I'm missing somewhere?

I'm sorry, but I must ask:

The only places to visit on the Midway are the Rec Room and the hallway outside? There aren't any other rooms that I'm missing somewhere?

Nope, just those rooms. Still better than the one room you get in Secret Ops.

The Lead Designer talks about the decision to remove the extra rooms here: https://www.wcnews.com/news/update/8159

Hmmm, that's very interesting (and very true) about WCIV, I thought WCIII did it better, where all the conversations were optional, but would still have an affect on the game. I quite enjoyed scouring the Victory from top to bottom to find the next person to talk to and make sure I didn't miss anyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back