Joystick questions

OSH

Rear Admiral
Hi! I'm, new, but I have two general remarks about FC 1.6:
First, This game lack a joystick configurations! I haveSpeedlink Wasp2. This joystick has a "throttle control" (in fact is this function rsponsible for rotate ship). This cause one, but BIG problem: I can't change my speed! It will be very good, when FC 1.6 has one simple options to disable this <CENSORED> thing!
Second: How I can make enemy to face off my ship? He's still on my tail, and I can't fight him! I'm veteran of Wing Commander game, and this was me very surprised. It's unimportant, what I do - he's permanently on my six. Maybe I do something wrong, but maybe it's again with joystick sesitivity something wrong ? But without Joystick options in game, will be impossible correct this "bug".
I hope, this will be corrected in future versions of FC. For now, this game is for me unplayable... :(

Hi! I'm, new, but I have two general remarks about FC 1.6:
First, This game lack a joystick configurations! I haveSpeedlink Wasp2. This joystick has a "throttle control" (in fact is this function rsponsible for rotate ship). This cause one, but BIG problem: I can't change my speed! It will be very good, when FC 1.6 has one simple options to disable this <CENSORED> thing!

Could you please run the game from the command prompt and post the output here. Maybe your joystick driver isn't reporting the throttle to the game somehow. But let's see, the output will tell us the answer.

Second: How I can make enemy to face off my ship? He's still on my tail, and I can't fight him! I'm veteran of Wing Commander game, and this was me very surprised. It's unimportant, what I do - he's permanently on my six. Maybe I do something wrong, but maybe it's again with joystick sesitivity something wrong ? But without Joystick options in game, will be impossible correct this "bug".
I hope, this will be corrected in future versions of FC. For now, this game is for me unplayable... :(

Yes, the AI is really terrible. It's on my todo list.

Of course Eddie, here's my log:
D:\Gry\Symulatory\Flight Commander1.6>flightcommander
Text to speech engine found.
Flight Commander 1.6
Graphics: ATI Technologies Inc. Radeon X1300/X1550 Series (Omega 3.8.442)
point parameters extension found
no point sprites
Generate mipmap found
Texture compression found
S3TC texture compression found
Anisotropic texture filtering found
Swap control found
Cube mapping found
Joystick:4-Axis,12-Button with POV
No Force feedback
Has throttle
Has RZ axis
12 buttons
1 hats
Initialized 3d sound
DirectSound version: 9
Sound card: Realtek HD Audio output

D:\Gry\Symulatory\Flight Commander1.6>

How I can make enemy to face off my ship? He's still on my tail, and I can't fight him! I'm veteran of Wing Commander game, and this was me very surprised. It's unimportant, what I do - he's permanently on my six.

I have two methods, one is to hold tab until I'm far away then turn around (I don't remember if this works in stock Flight Commander, depends on ship), and the other would be to lower speed to a stand still and turn around.

Of course Eddie, here's my log:

Ah. The game thinks you have 4 axes: X, Y, throttle, rZ. The game has detected the throttle. And also it detected an "rZ" axis, which is used to bank the ship left and right.

So the axis you think should be the throttle is acting as rZ. Isn't there another axis on the joystick? Can you try that axis, maybe that acts as your throttle.

This probably won't help, but did you install a special joystick driver, or just use the one that came with windows.

They have some drivers here
http://www.speed-link.com/?p=3&s=1&sup=31

Yes Eddie , you was right, installing a special driver helps. Although I still can't change my speed by minus key, I can change it with using my throttle. But now I have other problem. My vessel is light sliding (from upper right corner to lower left corner). Slowly, but constantly. And after installing a special driver I can't find calibration options! I don't know, what I have to do now...

Control panel
Game controllers
Click on your joystick, hit properties

Might be slightly different for you.

Eddie, I know, how calibrate a joystick. But after installing driver for my joystick calibration option has DISAPPEARED from my joystick options. And this sliding appears only in FC, in other simulators doesn't...:(

Back