Jalkhi?

frostytheplebe

Seventh Part of the Seal
Im not sure if thats the correct name, but has anyone made any type of 3-d Image of the fighter that looks like a Salthi cept its green? It just doesn't seem right, it has six lasers, yet it only seems to have two mountings.

Also, what sort of fighter is she? A heavy fighter? Are thier any stats on it?

From what I know, the SNES Wing Commander re-used the Salthi sprite for the Jalthi, but coloured it green to distinguish it from the actual Salthi. I believe this was due to platform limitations, not a design intent. So of course, the 'green Salthi' would only have two guns.

The Jalthi (you mixed up Jalthi and Jalkhei... man I'm a nerd) from the SNES version was indeed green but I'm pretty sure I distinctly remember it being fully outloaded with the six lasers its infamous for.

The Jalthi in the SNES games is, indeed, a green Salthi. It reuses the Salthi sprites and the Salthi VDU image. The SNES version of the manual even prints the same Claw Marks line art next to both the Salthi and the Jalthi. The art is changed but the specifications are not - the Jalthi still shoots six guns.

... and then the box to The Secret Missions even shows a 'green Salthi' (Jalthi) up close!

The Jalthi (you mixed up Jalthi and Jalkhei... man I'm a nerd) from the SNES version was indeed green but I'm pretty sure I distinctly remember it being fully outloaded with the six lasers its infamous for.
*cough* Jalkehi! *cough* ;) (Nerds? I always thought we were only geeks. :D )

My first playthrough of Wing Commander was the SNES version, so I was later surprised to find out that the Jalthi was in fact *not* just a green Salthi.

Wait, you're both wrong! :) Claw Marks does list three lasers and three neutrons... but the actual fighter in the game has four lasers and two neutrons.

Find which out, about the weapons? You can see them in the game - or you can check out the 'in game' specs using the ship editor (WCEdit, I think).

Four lasers and two neutrons? REALLY?! I've played Wing Commander many times and I could have -sworn- it was decked out with six lasers... or maybe Paladin said "six guns" and not necessarily "six lasers" during the dialogue and my memory is being fuzzy...

From a quality standpoint, the Jalthi is a piece of garbage.

It's slow, unmanouverable, and it's shielding and armour are complete and utter garbage. Not Epee bad, but very sub-par for a heavy fighter. The only thing the Jalthi is good for is charging at the target and hoping that the guns run through the target.

Jalkhi was a huge improvent all around.(It's armanant was slightly weaker, but it had far better armour, shielding, was faster, and at least had a rear turret.)

Four lasers and two neutrons? REALLY?! I've played Wing Commander many times and I could have -sworn- it was decked out with six lasers... or maybe Paladin said "six guns" and not necessarily "six lasers" during the dialogue and my memory is being fuzzy...

Do you mean the SNES WC1? Because, IIRC, there all the Kilrathi ships fired only orange bolts, so the green Salthi would fire 6 orange bolts, maybe that's why you're confused.

But in the PC version, the Jalthi most definately mounts 4 Lasers and 2 Neutrons.

I always wondered how it would be to fly a Jalthi. So slow and clumsy, yet a great gun loadout.

The Raptor only has a 34 percent change against them, apparently...

Based off of what? The Raptor is faster, quite a bit more manueverable, has a more versitile gun loadout for dogfighting, and most definately has more missles.

And unlike Jalthi, Raptor is at least durable. The only real advantage the Jalthi has against the Raptor is profile. Jalthi is much narrower than Raptor. Otherwise... Raptor is simply a better fighter. (It also doesn't help that Terran pilots were usually much better trained.)

Back