I've Created a WC4 HD Video Pack

I have to apologize for being so late to this thread. I should have really dug in weeks ago to start sharing your progress in the news. Fortunately there are so many talented people here at the Forums that have been able to provide support with any funneling of attention to this thread on my part. Now that I've caught up, I can see that this is just fantastic work - really great! The only silver lining to my delay is that you're already up to solid version 2.0 releases on both WC4 and WCP, so the majority of people will be seeing very refined high quality versions of the clips on their first take. I agree that your WC3 tests also look great, but you also have sound logic concerning the difficulty of actually implementing the new WC3 footage. We've mirrored your 2.0 files and look forward to whatever else you've got in work!

Thanks, @ChrisReid - I really appreciate the glowing feedback 🙂

I've updated the links throughout this thread to reflect your hosted versions - that's also very much appreciated! I'm also very proud to have my files hosted here after spending so many years availing myself of the patches and assets available here 😁

First, as far as hosting goes, I'm sure we can handle that right here at WCNews. As far as file size goes, I don't think larger file sizes are a huge issue, though it does get to a point of diminishing returns on file size vs quality improvements...

On another note, I put together sets of videos that are either missing or broken on the DVD versions ages ago so here they are:

WCP: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1H0eJ1X9qta9DuuP4T0vBh-Nb29efCoeK]

The WCP Videos are just the raw extracted videos from the CDs. I believe there's at least one in there that seems to have a version on the DVD but for some reason is actually just a repeated copy of one of the other videos instead of being a higher quality version of the CD video.

WC4: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1F57pZfiVbyHQFMZrmQ3wBLKXJo0BsPaR

These are both the missing videos and fixed videos. The videos missing sound were remuxed with the CD audio. For videos like 2570, there's the original cd version turned into a VOB (you might want to rextract this one if and start from scratch for the upscale) and then I also have a version that takes the front half of video and adds it to the DVD version of the jump with the fleet (which is completely different from the jump portion of the cd version.). The DVD version of 3630 is missing the bar ending altogether so this has been appended to the DVD version. Again, though it will take some editing, you might get better results working with the original file.

Hi all,

Anyone who's been following this thread from the start may remember @AD 's post above about his set of videos that were missing from the DVD versions that he'd cleaned up from the CR-ROM versions.

Well, I've had a crack at remastering the WCP ones. You can see the results here.

What do you all think? Is it worth incorporating these into a WCP HD Pack V2.1?

Definitely. Despite of the obvious flaws, I think it has a lot of potential. I'm confident that with a bit of cleanup, it will be awesome. :)

I also like the WC3 test very much. :)

Last edited:

Yes. **EVERYTHING** that is better than what we have is always worth including.

Did you ever get your hands on the 3do version? I've got a copy I can hunt up if you still like them.

I would still be hoping that the PS1 or 3DO videos should be good enough for at least some improvement.

While we are at it, did anyone ever manage to mod in the deleted scenes into a PC WC3?

I can almost get this running in Wine for Prophecy. Which is something I've never been able to do before with the VOB files. Probably just play with codecs a bit and I'm there... Right now I get audio but a bunch o green snow for video. Also it opens the videos in a separate process under ActiveMovie Player. Which linux wine treats very weird. I can't imagine it's that ideal for windows either. Wasn't HCl or someone working to improve this?

While we are at it, did anyone ever manage to mod in the deleted scenes into a PC WC3?

Ooh I wish, the dropping of the explanation from Hobbs didn't make a link of sense to me. Of all the movies to cut... Still someone would probably have to hack the windows 95 version to do it.

Thanks, @ChrisReid - I really appreciate the glowing feedback 🙂

I've updated the links throughout this thread to reflect your hosted versions - that's also very much appreciated! I'm also very proud to have my files hosted here after spending so many years availing myself of the patches and assets available here 😁

We're happy to help! The site has a lot of capacity, so it's nice to be able to put it to good use.

I gave up on Wine for the time being and see if I can just get WCP movies working on windows 10. Only the game refuses to play them. I'm using a clean install from GOG with the Model Upgrade pack installed in it first. And a mostly brand new Windows 10 install with version 1909. Nvidia Geforce 1080 with the latest drivers. I've tried installing LAVS filters with different settings and then CCCP but then the movies just hang as soon as they launch. I also tried the old wcphr.dll from HCL's old patch. but still no luck. What steps should I be trying?

Yeah, we've had some issues with HD movies and WCP. We have some potential solutions but I'm not sure when we could get to them.
Still I think the WCP ones have a long way to go; maybe best to focus on WC4 for now.

Yeah, we've had some issues with HD movies and WCP. We have some potential solutions but I'm not sure when we could get to them.
Still I think the WCP ones have a long way to go; maybe best to focus on WC4 for now.

Agreed, @Pedro

@wcnut, I also had a wonky time getting the WCP HD videos running in-game. They did play, but there was usually a longer pause before they started and yes, they play in a seperate ActiveMovie window, which is annoying, with the mouse cursor visible and locked in the centre. Unfortunately, I'm most definitely not a software developer - HTML, CSS and Javascript are the limits of my programming capabilities! - so I'd have to leave modding of the games to more capable hands.

One thought though, about getting the videos to play in the WCP ActiveMovie window under Windows10 - try installing the K-Lite Codec Pack. I always install it on every Windows build I have and I'm yet to come across a codec or format it has difficulty with. I think there's a good chance the various WCP mods rely on Windows' underlying installed Codecs.

Last edited:
I gave up on Wine for the time being and see if I can just get WCP movies working on windows 10. Only the game refuses to play them. I'm using a clean install from GOG with the Model Upgrade pack installed in it first. And a mostly brand new Windows 10 install with version 1909. Nvidia Geforce 1080 with the latest drivers. I've tried installing LAVS filters with different settings and then CCCP but then the movies just hang as soon as they launch. I also tried the old wcphr.dll from HCL's old patch. but still no luck. What steps should I be trying?

I'm at work, when I get home I will give you the steps, Pedro shared it again here in one of the forums, the gog version works fine in Windows 10 with the new updated video playback and model update, I've also ran it on my laptop with Intel integrated graphics 100%

WCP Extras Pack

Hi all,

This is just a little bit of bonus content - as previously discussed, here are the videos missing from the WCP DVD Pack.

To clarify, these aren't meant to be a proper HD remaster or anything - they're just meant to be a step up from the CD-ROM footage that the game defaults to since these ones are missing from the DVD pack. They're pretty ropey looking, but they do upscale the footage somewhat and bring the frame rate up to 30FPS, rather than the horribly choppy 15FPS used in the CD-ROM video. I've also tried to clean up the the brightness/contrast, since the CD-ROM videos look terribly washed out.

Just drop them in your WCP movie folder and they should play when required :^)

@ChrisReid, would you like me to incorporate these into a WCP HD Pack V2.1? Or would you like to just keep them separate as an "optional extra"?

I would add them to your 2.1 pack. The general consensus is that having any manner of upgrade whatsoever is better than a missing/original clip, so people will generally want the files. There's a small number of people that have the 2.0, won't get the 2.1, and might get this bonus pack, but overall going forward, people in the future would download 2.1 and they'll be better off just having everything in there.

I would add them to your 2.1 pack. The general consensus is that having any manner of upgrade whatsoever is better than a missing/original clip, so people will generally want the files. There's a small number of people that have the 2.0, won't get the 2.1, and might get this bonus pack, but overall going forward, people in the future would download 2.1 and they'll be better off just having everything in there.

Righto - I'll create a V2.1 and send you a link when it's available on my OneDrive 🙂

Hi @ChrisReid - I've put together a WCP V2.1 pack, which you can download here and here.

If you could please send me links once they're site hosted, I'll update the links at the start of this thread 🙂

Back