It's not about "when?" but "how?" and "where?"

maniacmagic

Spaceman
Hi WCS people,

That's a great and professional job you're doing. I'm anxious to see and play the demo and full release of the WC Saga. I know that you're doing your very best to finish the job. And I also know that people have real life obligations. That's why i appreciate the work you're doing. And I want to congragulate you people for this hard work.

The word "soon" is an open ended one. (Yep, I know the answer, I'll get when I ask "when?") :D So my questions are as follows;

1) You say,this will be a free, standalone game that'll have cutscenes, animations and etc. This means when the time comes we'll talk about huge file sizes. And I do mean "huge" (probably over 300 maybe 400 MB?). Will you post the game data files and missions separately for download or else?

2)Where will we be able to download these files?

I can hear you people saying "You will learn soon!" :D

Thanks

1)
Yes filesize is at the moment about 400MB for the complete pack. Doing a seperated pack with smaller downloads shoulnd't be a big problem but instead of making packs for "voice-overs", "missions" and so on I would just put the entire pack into a rar file and seperate that one, cause the best gameplay comes from all things combined...but we will think about this when we release the thing.

2)
I hope our own server can handle the download, but I also hope that we find some other places like the CIC or the WingCenter.

I will try to answer your questions to the best of my knowledge.

Currently the download package is around 180 mb. The release package will be around 230 mb.

Final release will be around 500 mb of download size at least.

File will be hosted on Fileplanet, so brace yourself :D

:) Uh Oh

Anyway either with DSL or Cable connection we'll find a way to download it. :)

Thanks for the replies and keep up the good work.

The Privateer Remake served thousands of downloads the first day over bittorrent. No waiting list, no "premium" accounts, no overloaded servers.

interesting, but in this case a seed is needed#

The Babylon Project is distributing R 3.0 over bit torrent network as well

Aw no! Not bit torrent!.

Please :(

That kind of programs is no good for some people.

i.e. When the time comes I'll probably download the files using my studio pc and DSL connection. And I can't use bit torrent on that computer ( for security reasons. I have some vital data on that HDD). And At home I still use 56K modem which is a no no with anykind of downloading.

There should be another way. Fileplanet is just fine for me. I am not very familiar with server stuff but I know that mirror sites work fine. Maybe CIC can help with that. I don't know

I hope WC Saga production team will find a suitable way to post the files for internet users who can't use bit torrent too.

Pleeeeaaaase !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

Never fear. I think that Tolwyn and the other big brains on the project will make sure that everyone who wants WC Saga will have access to it.

We might use both ways to distribute the mod, but I can assure you: we will offer a http mirror.

I'm not the one making the final decision, Delance, but that sounds like a reasonable course of action to me.

Back