It's normal?

Ripperian

Spaceman
I'm the one that started playing Wing Commander this year.

I'm in Secret Missions 1 on the Jotunheim Sector and am starting hating Colonel Halcyon!!!

He blames me the whole fault of not being able to eliminate some ship when I am alone against all and return almost destroyed having killed 16 Kilrathi ships... damn....I would strangulate him.

Also I feel anger because my character who does not say anything!

Great pilot, obedient....aaaaaahh!!

ok, let's go for another try agaist that Rapiers... oh Gwenhyvar you are going down...

Calm down dude... Halcyon is great, he's just unhappy because you didn't complete your objetive I guess... The Kilrathi have fighter superiority number-wise, therefore killing 16 of them doesn't necessarily help.

I know that I did not fulfill my target. Because it was unmanageable for the numerical superiority. What I see is he does not appreciate the effort.

Halcyon is not great... I know this is a game but there is no strategy from the colonel he send you to death mission after mission.

If this would be a real situation where we have just one life it would be impossible and inhumanly to send 2 fighters against waves of Kilarathi...
but this is a game, it's ok.

And I am not crazy, I like to put myself in the personage...

This is something that's common to Chris Roberts games. Even in Starlancer your whole squadron of fighters fails in the objective and you personally get a lashing and transferred off of the carrier in shame, even though you made an amazing amount of kills and the rest of your squadron was pretty much flying around in circles while rarely shooting at anything the whole time.

As far as the mission with the Rapiers, you can complete it by afterburning towards your objective and ignoring the enemy fighters. Just blow up the cap ship and head home. When you do this, it's really an easy mission and you can see how a pilot would be expected to complete it. Halcyon seems like a much more compassionate commander than in other commanders from other games. Sometimes he's too nice. He even gives you a medal for ejecting! In other games you're usually met with a tongue lashing.

That's something common in the military - if the command you're responsible for fails something, the buck stops with you.

Well, the mission layout is a bit odd, nut he is not sending you to fight waves of cats on this mission, he's sending on a patrol to locate, and rendez-vous with a friendly ship, not to perform a strike.

and the mission is really, really tough, you are outnumbered against a group of far superior fighters, once you take them down the capship is easy.

I do recommend that you send your wingman home, after the first NAV point since i never was able to keep the rapiers off of him in this mission.

I have no wingman since Jotunheim 1...

And it's true about the kind of mission. But the fact he does not show some contemplation bothers me... man, I almost get kill!

And like the situation of Whoopass...
I like the games when you feel you are one more character in the game's world.
Ok, I'm the hero but the characters should not know that!

Ripperian said:
I have no wingman since Jotunheim 1...
I find the wingmen in the WC1 series to be rather useless. There was one time though where I ran out of afterburners, missiles, and my guns were completely damaged. My wingman was after a long time able to shoot the enemy down and save me. Usually though, you're better off sending them home so you don't have to worry about them getting killed and missing out on their comments.

I haven't played Wing Commander 2, but the Wing Commander 3 wingmen are very competant, so if you play that, you'll enjoy not having to babysit them and risk losing them as often. (you said you just started playing Wing Commander, so I'm not sure if you meant WC1 is the only game you've played so far). If you're on nightmare level, you'll find that the WC4 wingmen are also useless.

Ripperian said:
And like the situation of Whoopass...
I like the games when you feel you are one more character in the game's world.
Ok, I'm the hero but the characters should not know that!

I agree, I find that very refreshing for a change. I enjoyed having that situation when playing the first few missions of WC1, where they still treat you as a rookie.

Mjr. Whoopass said:
you said you just started playing Wing Commander, so I'm not sure if you meant WC1 is the only game you've played so far

Yes, I only played WC1 and now I am playing the Secret missions 1.

I finished WC1 two months ago.

Mjr. Whoopass said:
This is something that's common to Chris Roberts games. Even in Starlancer your whole squadron of fighters fails in the objective and you personally get a lashing and transferred off of the carrier in shame, even though you made an amazing amount of kills and the rest of your squadron was pretty much flying around in circles while rarely shooting at anything the whole time.

Despite what it says on the front of the box, Starlancer isn't really a Chris Roberts game. Chris was working on Freelancer, and Starlancer was produced by Erin Roberts.

Back