It's been a long time...

You know, no one is stopping anyone not on the GG team from doing that. Or, hell, stopping anyone from researching how to change things in the VS engine. I mean, no one handed the GG team a detailed "here's how you change things to make a 'purist' version of PR" write-up. They went and did it on their own.

I look forward to the updated base art. It should make the game experience even better.

On a unified version, it would definitely boost the development of the game by pooling resources. Also the Gemini Gold name is better than PR. However I can't really see the GG developers relenting on extra features, even if they are options that are disabled by default. It's at an impasse, sadly.

Ijuin said:
How about just putting out a guide on how to change various things about the ships/rules that the players might want to customize, and letting them tweak their own copies as they like?
One of the things I like about GG and hate about seemingly every other VS project out there is that GG actually has direction - it's going somewhere, it aims to be an actual game, that users are supposed to install and play and have fun with in the way it was intended to.

The "if there's anything you don't like, here's how to change it" type of release is a curse. Games are for someone to write and for everyone else to play the way that one guy meant them to.

Death said:
You know, no one is stopping anyone not on the GG team from doing that. Or, hell, stopping anyone from researching how to change things in the VS engine. I mean, no one handed the GG team a detailed "here's how you change things to make a 'purist' version of PR" write-up. They went and did it on their own.

You are right, of course. And as a VS vet I could most likely do it myself. Unfortunantly, I don't have my own computer at the moment (I left it back at home so I can have more time to study), But you are right.

charlieg said:
However I can't really see the GG developers relenting on extra features, even if they are options that are disabled by default. It's at an impasse, sadly.

No, it's not an impasse. That term implies there's some kind of negotiation involved, when it's nothing of the sort. The GG team has a specific goal for which their aiming, namely a faithful recreation of Privateer taking advantage of later graphics, and although they may seek input from those outside the project group, ultimately they are the only ones that make the call on what is and isn't in GG or how team resources are to be spent.

And while I agree with you, Eder, I'm not too sure that particular discussion is suited to this thread. :)

Back