It's been a long time...

Lazy Panda

Spaceman
...since I touched Privateer Remake, but now I want to start again. So, what's Gemini Gold like? Should I get Wing Commander Universe?
 

John Cordell

Spaceman
Depends on what you want.
We are working on interfaces and baseart so if you can hold yourself back just wait for the next GG version which is a lot better.

WCU seems to be more a devel kit for games placed in the Wing Comander Universe, it's not a game. I'm not sure about the development on both projects, it looks like it was stopped some time ago. I guess it's temporary.
 

John Cordell

Spaceman
Just a sidenote... after the VS engine switches to the ogre rendering system are you planning to update GG to take advantage?

Well, i have to and i better don't think about it...
Hopefully it won't cause much trouble.
 

Death

gh0d (Administrator)
That a feature is in PR doesn't mean it will be in GG.

GG is more focused towards rebuilding the original Privateer, without fan additions not found at all in the original. At a guess, not being on GG staff, turret AI is one of those features not carried over from PR, as it wasn't to be found in Privateer (though the concept was known, in WC2 turrets would fire themselves, though for the most part their accuracy sucked).
 

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
The turrets in WC2 fired because you had a gunnery crew manning them. This wasn't available in Privateer.
 

privfan

Commodore
it's possible to edit a file and re-enable turret ai though. I did with the in game explanation that it's one of the ejected pilots I tractored in manning the turret :)
 

hurleybird

Rear Admiral
Turret AI seems to be the one thing that a lot of users liked better in PR than in GG. Perhaps being able to enable/disable the feature in the options menu (perhaps with other PR changes) would be in order. Of course, extra 'features' would be disabled by default, but having the option in there could go towards making a unified remake of Privateer.
 

Dyret

Super Carrot!
hurleybird said:
Of course, extra 'features' would be disabled by default, but having the option in there could go towards making a unified remake of Privateer.

WTF... Then GG would become the remake.
 

hurleybird

Rear Admiral
Exactly. Having two versions if rather sloppy, especially considering that a lot of people download the inferior PR version. Having one unified version is the way to go IMHO.
 

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
privfan said:
it's not actually in the game, just how I justify it to myself, hence the :) at the end

Sorry -- usually "in game explanation" is something people cite when something is explained in the game (but doesn't appear in the manual, for example).
 

Death

gh0d (Administrator)
hurleybird said:
Exactly. Having two versions if rather sloppy, especially considering that a lot of people download the inferior PR version. Having one unified version is the way to go IMHO.

It seems to me that if the GG people were interested in retaining PR features, or PR people interested in GG features, they would've joined or stayed with the other project's team, instead of going their own, seperate paths with two seperate project teams. They're seperate projects with seperate goals/ideas, and as such should remain as two seperate versions.

(Note that I'm not a member of either team, just some goober from the peanut gallery with a tendancy towards "purism".)
 

hurleybird

Rear Admiral
Death said:
It seems to me that if the GG people were interested in retaining PR features, or PR people interested in GG features, they would've joined or stayed with the other project's team, instead of going their own, seperate paths with two seperate project teams.

Perhaps so. It seemed to me that there was also a bit of a fued between some of the developers of each version (not naming names). In any case, I for one would welcome a version where I can pick the features that I want to enable. But perhaps that thought is futile. Perhaps a good compromise would be that some features (I'm thinking turret AI here) could be enableable through downloadable addons from the GG download page?
 

Death

gh0d (Administrator)
Why does there need to be a compromise? If you (generic "you") want PR features, use PR or import them into GG by taking advantage of the modular nature of the VS engine.

At a guess most of those who get GG aren't interested in PR-specific features, given how GG makes it very clear from the very front page of their site that while there is a connection to PR through the game engine, GG is its own project with goals that don't necessarily coincide with those of the PR project.

In short, I disagree that GG needs to even mention PR-specific features beyond perhaps the "where we differ" page, let alone make them readily available through the GG site.
 

John Cordell

Spaceman
hurleybird said:
Perhaps so. It seemed to me that there was also a bit of a fued between some of the developers of each version (not naming names).
I just don't wanted to be any longer responsible for the rape of a great game besides we shouldn't forget that without the time and effort invested into the PR project there would not be any GG version ;)

hurleybird said:
In any case, I for one would welcome a version where I can pick the features that I want to enable. But perhaps that thought is futile. Perhaps a good compromise would be that some features (I'm thinking turret AI here) could be enableable through downloadable addons from the GG download page?
That's only causing work, work i don't see any reason for. You could create a fansite with modifications if you disagree with Origin's design.
 

Ijuin

Admiral
How about just putting out a guide on how to change various things about the ships/rules that the players might want to customize, and letting them tweak their own copies as they like?
 
Top