Its about time someone at EA pulled their heads out of their asses...

KilrathiSaga

Spaceman
I grew up playing the wing commander games. I am fed up with the bull-crap attitude of electronic arts and their sub-companies. There is no game out there with as much demand out there for it as Wing Commander the Kilrathi Saga...and yet, for a reason yet undisclosed, for three emails have gone unanswered, EA will not re-release this game. Oh sure, re-release the Ultima collection, of which only one or two games work on modern computers. Oh sure, go ahead and re-release three to four year old sports games as "gold" or "cd-rom" classics, because I'm sure everyone wants to play with obsolete graphics and rosters. But no, lets not re-release an award-winning series that is currently being auctioned away for hundreds upon hundreds of dollars...used. Oh no, our heads are so far up there that we can't see the demand for it, and we are arrogant enough to ignore our customers, simply becuase we're big EA. Well screw them. But lets put that aside as well. I feel that EA owes it to its fans, to its loyal customers, to its devoted, to re-release Wing Commander: The Kilrathi Saga, for reasons more than simply making money. Its rare, and its been asked for. Hell, I don't even think it was distributed on a wide scale, maybe only to one or two retailers. My frustration is, I'm sure, shared by many others. Its time to act. If you want this game, let EA know. Bombard them with emails, petition, beg, threaten. We deserve respect from EA, and they ain't giving it.
Who's with me!

------------------
Stop the foolishness...
stop the insanity...
Re-release the Kilrathi Saga NOW!!!

To be sure I am annoyed with EA, but I think you go too far. I mean, they just released WC1 KS version to PCGAMER - buy it!

I already have...but Wing Commander 2 and 3 are still unavailable under the 95 platform...and I think they should be...

------------------
Stop the foolishness...
stop the insanity...

Well, even thought I have played WCs 1, 2, and 3, I'd still like to see KS re-released (or is that re-re-released, I'm not sure). It would be cool to have, I guess.

------------------
If I'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

Currently I have a bid on ebay for a copy for over $200. I know this is insane but I never played the first two games and they refuse to work on my system. I have a USB mouse so no mouse support, for some unknown reason my joystick won't work in DOS, and I can't free up enough memory to play the games much less hear music and speech. As for WC3 I have a weird video problem and EA tech support has basically given me the "Oh well I guess you're screwed response". Is it really to much to ask that they spit out a few more copies of it. I would pay whatever they wanted (within reason of course). To me it looks like they are saying to WC fans, "Screw you we don't care about what you want, go bother someone else." Personally I have had enough.

------------------
The One, The Only,
Crazypants

To be fair, games like Ultima Collection and such aren't released as classics instead of Kilrathi Saga to be mean to us -- it's because they have many unsold copies of the original games (G)

1) You really don't need the mouse in WC1 or WC2

2) You probibly have a digital stick, you can pick up a analouge stick perfectly capable of doing everything WC1 and WC2 need for $20 or less (plus KS has stick problems and so it may not work there either)

3) come to the tech support board and I bet we can get you enough memory free...

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ
"Canadian and proud of it"-TC

The problem is I do have an analog stick and it doesn't work. I've contacted the joystick maker, Creative who made my sound card and origin none of them know what's up. I have the version of WC that shipped on the PC Gamer disk and the stick works fine. Also a quick question about the PC Gamer version, is there speech in the game because if there is it doesn't work for me.

------------------
The One, The Only,
Crazypants

There is no speech, and there never has been. It's a game made in 1990, remember?
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
It might seem that I'm being a little hard with EA, but I'm sure we can all agree that KS would sell if re-released. Its just that simple...and that's all I'm asking. If anyone has gotten any responses from EA, please let me know...they are ignoring me both in EAstore and EAtech...

------------------
Stop the foolishness...
stop the insanity...

You're not hard on EA, from what I've heard they don't respond to anyone. Had the same problem with EA Sports. It seems that they hate customers too.
mad.gif
About WC, my bad never played it before so I didn't know, hence the question.
smile.gif

------------------
The One, The Only,
Crazypants

Quarto said:
There is no speech, and there never has been. It's a game made in 1990, remember?
smile.gif

i once heared there was a 3DO WC1 with speech,hmmm

I just got an email response from a Jason at EA. Here's a clip:

"You have a great point. I will try and look into the matter and see what I
can do for you.

Jason"

If he's not BS'ing me, maybe EA has already considered re-releasing KS. I'm crossing my fingers...

------------------
Stop the foolishness...
stop the insanity...

Here is an interesting thought..

Chris Robets might be the reason why we have no KS classic.

Look on the cover of the PC Gamer with the WC1 KS on the CD.

Under "read about the games they inspired" or whatever is there to that effect, it says "Freelancer"

Seeing as how EA has NOTHING to do with Freelancer, this is pretty strange. I have a feeling that Chris Roberts might have played a major part in getting WC1 KS on the PC Gamer CD. It's publicity for Freelancer, and theres even an interview with him in the THEN & NOW section for WC1 and FL. This is a good indication that Mr. Roberts does, in fact. own partial or full intellectual property rights to the first three games - not the WC title itself, but these games. It did say "A Chris Roberts Game" on the box, after all.

It would be bad business for Roberts to allow KS to be re-released, simply because it would hurt sales of Starlancer and Freelancer. Perhaps EA even had plans for a "WC Series Collectors Edition", with all the WC games in one box. But without Roberts giving the go, they wouldn't be able to put Wc1-3, Armada, Privateer, Priv 2, etc., in there, so it would make no sense.

KilrathiSaga said:

can do for you.

Jason"

If he's not BS'ing me, maybe EA has already considered re-releasing KS. I'm crossing my fingers...

Gee, I hope you`re right. I also wrote a nice long letter to EA (actually to Origin) a few months ago and surprisingly enough, got no answer from them at all. I still have it saved somewhere, I think.

BTW, If they do re-re-release it, I wouldn`t want to be in the shoes of the poor bastard who bought it for 300 bucks. lol
frown.gif

I never had the fortune to discover WC when I was young, the first game I played was WCIV, on its completion I instantly went out and bough WCIII, I would love to play the old games.
Oh an intresting point, bleemcast, the PSX emulator for the DC is said to include compatability for all the games that don't work on the PS2 in one of the bleempaks. Good news for WC fans, yumm 640*480 + 3D acceleration, I think I'll go to heaven.

Jumper said:
Seeing as how EA has NOTHING to do with Freelancer,

Not at all... everyone's needlessly comparing Starlancer to WC...

this is pretty strange. I have a feeling that Chris Roberts might have played a major part in getting WC1 KS on the PC Gamer CD.

If making more copies of a game with the intention of selling them would hurt Freelancer sales, giving a game away for free would probably hurt even more
smile.gif

It's publicity for Freelancer, and theres even an interview with him in the THEN & NOW section for WC1 and FL. This is a good indication that Mr. Roberts does, in fact. own partial or full intellectual property rights to the first three games - not the WC title itself, but these games. It did say "A Chris Roberts Game" on the box, after all.
Erm, because he's pretty wellknown as far as game developers go. Like Meier, Romero...

It would be bad business for Roberts to allow KS to be re-released, simply because it would hurt sales of Starlancer and Freelancer.

See above
smile.gif

Perhaps EA even had plans for a "WC Series Collectors Edition", with all the WC games in one box. But without Roberts giving the go, they wouldn't be able to put Wc1-3, Armada, Privateer, Priv 2, etc., in there, so it would make no sense.

I very much doubt that. The reason there's no KS Classic is because KS is a Classic. And just because so far 20 loons have been willing to shell out $200 or more for a copy, doesn't mean they'd necessarily make money off a reprint. The major reason for there not being a reprint is because since then many have left EA or Origin. Nobody at EA tech support is familiar with the games anymore.

Last edited:
KilrathiSaga said:

can do for you.

Jason"

I think that's the guy who once began a reply to a KS inquiery with the words "Unfortunately you have reached tech support..." There have been many petitions and such, nothing's helped. Like I said, there's probably no one left who could offer support, and I doubt it'd sell well.

Back