Its about time someone at EA pulled their heads out of their asses...

Kris, I have no doubt that you could be right, but It's not like the Ultima Collection has been blazing off shelves. I'm not saying they make a big deal of this. they could even release a big collection (mentioned earlier) which would have the whole series and could sell for an agreeable 60 bucks.
I'm not saying that this would be an easy procedure for EA, or that they owe us numerous favors, I'm merely pointing out the obvious: If other series deserve more than one re-release or gold, so does this one. Yes, KS WAS a re-release, but it was passed over by the community. Perhaps better advertisment and a more appealing and denser package would attract people to series, both long time fans and newbies alike.
I'm sure you'll admit you wouldn't mind a huge collection with all of the games packed in, eh?

------------------
Stop the foolishness...
stop the insanity...
Re-release the Kilrathi Saga NOW!!!

You can't compare it with the UC: they had a bunch of old crap in their warehouses and wanted it gone. Throwing it all in a box and not selling anything was probably cheaper than continuing to stock it
smile.gif

Kilrathi Saga was reprinted once, in 98 I think. And WC has a bunch of different releases. Take Prophecy for instance: there's an original, a special edition, a classic edition and a gold edition. I think all the games have multiple releases.

KS packaging was great, in my opinion. 3 games and a neat calender, free addons that can be downloaded, what more do you need or want? What do you expect from a $20-30 package? Fact remains it's 3 old games a lot of people already own. And they're all still available in their original form.

As for a "WC Collection", if it were done in a way like the Ultima Collection, it'd be a nice box to look at, but it wouldn't add anything of value.

Last edited:
WCP special edition?

------------------
The time is near.
There are still quite a few days remaining.

I don't care for fame, power or money...
I just want to FIGHT!
-Sanosuke Sagara

Kinda rare I think, not that special either. It might come with a mousepad, but those were available seperately anyway.

Come on Kris! I'm sorry if I'm not willing to dissect my Config.sys and Autoexec.bat for the games, but the truth of the matter is ANYONE and EVERYONE would like even in the least bit the ability to just reach over to the box, pluck the games out, and pop them in and have them work at the right speed on the right OS. I'm not asking EA to shoot all of its product managers for not re-releasing this. I'm just saying it would be pretty nifty to see a new collection for those of us who don't like fucking with our system files. Forgive me for being rude, but hey, I think I should be able to at least find a copy of the game (used or new) for LESS than 200 dollars. Its abolsutely insane. If its as easy as you say to plaop the spare games into a box and release'em, how fricking hard can it be to plop the games into a box w/o the "nice" calendar. I'm sure all everybody wants is the games and I don't mind the manual being in .pdf format. If you're going to persist and act as if you wouldn't mind some sort of collection, go right on ahead, but I still want the game to be released again. Jesus, I didn't expect there to be someone in here arguing with me even moreso than EA itself...

------------------
Stop the foolishness...
stop the insanity...

Kain said:
just 3DACL support and SO backstory in the
booklet(Taggarts letter to casey),
You're thinking of Prophecy Gold, which includes WC Secret Ops and new manual.

KilrathiSaga said:
Come on Kris! I'm sorry if I'm not willing to dissect my Config.sys and Autoexec.bat for the games, but the truth of the matter is ANYONE and EVERYONE would like even in the least bit the ability to just reach over to the box, pluck the games out, and pop them in and have them work at the right speed on the right OS.

Make a bootdisk, and create a simple batch file for the moslo stuff
smile.gif

I'm not asking EA to shoot all of its product managers for not re-releasing this. I'm just saying it would be pretty nifty to see a new collection for those of us who don't like fucking with our system files. Forgive me for being rude, but hey, I think I should be able to at least find a copy of the game (used or new) for LESS than 200 dollars.
You're absolutely right. But the fact that copies are going for 200 (some close to $400- is not because EA is unwilling to re-re-release it, it's because some people are that insane
smile.gif

Its abolsutely insane
I know!
If its as easy as you say to plaop the spare games into a box and release'em, how fricking hard can it be to plop the games into a box w/o the "nice" calendar. I'm sure all everybody wants is the games and I don't mind the manual being in .pdf format. If you're going to persist and act as if you wouldn't mind some sort of collection, go right on ahead, but I still want the game to be released again. Jesus, I didn't expect there to be someone in here arguing with me even moreso than EA itself...
My insight is not clouded by a mad desire for KS, I guess
smile.gif
Sure it's easy to take some old disks and plop them in a box like they did with the Ultima Collection... but what would that do for you? You want something that runs under Windows don't you? They'd have to rewrite a bunch of code, probably most of it. Things like Privateer's memory manager are totally incompatible with Windows.

Last edited:
I agree with you EA should re-release the Kilrathi Saga, but the fact of the matter is they just don't care enough. They are convinced that all people want is 3D shooters, sports games, and multiplayer games. It's the same with all companies, Hasbro has basically dropped Microprose because simulations aren't "hip" anymore. EA has done the same with Janes and decided that Origin will just be Ultima. I still hope that Origin will sell the rights to Wing Commander to Digital Anvil so that Chris Roberts can finish the games the way he wants them instead of the way Origin told him. Why do you think he left? You know that he could see trouble coming so he went off on his own to do his thing.
Just think of the wise words of Mick Jager,
"You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you just may find, you get what you need.

------------------
The One, The Only,
Crazypants

KrisV said:
Make a bootdisk, and create a simple batch file for the moslo stuff
smile.gif

he can also make a DOS shortcut

------------------
Meson

Wing Commander is more than just a game. It is a lifestyle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dammit... why does everyone always want to make a stupid windows shortcut when a good 'ol bootdisk does it perfectly well.

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ
"Canadian and proud of it"-TC

Well, TC, there are reasons. For example, I avoid using bootdisks like the plague - because in tropical climates, disks get mouldy very, very quickly. So, I try to only use disks if it's absolutely necessary.

I prefer a bootdisk myself... one disk to boot from when I want to play any of the older games. That is, until I get my laptop , hopefully this week.

BTW, Kris, re-releasing a "compilation" edition was just a thought...my main interest however is in being able to get KS. I could care less for Privateer at the moment, because its the game it was more than half a decade ago, and I also have it too =). But after playing the KS WC1 that came on the PcGamer CD, I'm determined to be able play 2 and 3 as well. I didn't buy WC3 the many times I passed by in Price Club...my bad. Nor did I ever get the WC2 on my older collection CD to work on my current computers. Sure there are ways around it, but I'm fricking lazy. I don't want to go through all of those steps only to discover that...I dunno...my soundcard doesn't work in DOS. When I said plop, I meant how hard can it be to burn off more KS CD's and release them on a much smaller scale, like gold or something. The DOS based games...well...forget them , because rewriting code is no easy task. But I think that at the least they should release WC3 again under W95, because I saw a couple years back that they had made it a CD-ROM classic, but it was still the DOS version. WC3 is in the same league as WC4, and yet they decided to release the native W95 patch. Now I'm not saying they go and devote people already working on other products to write a patch (yeah, right), I'm only saying that re-relasing KS again takes away pretty much any complaint one could have about the series, because all of the game in the main branch of games would run on modern computers. My perception is not clouded by need for the game, as you so elequently put it, nor am I sitting here naked writing this in some awkward protest of EA's methods (hmmm...hold that thought). I understand EA is a big company, and big company's have difficulty digging back in time, but hey Maxis (a divison of EA) released a three pack of sim games, and then re-relased a bigger one with those same three games and three more. All I'm asking is, why can't EA and how hard would it actually be if they even considered it. By the by, Kris, do you have KS? Have you played the W95 port of the first wing commander. If you answer no and no, then maybe we've both got a little bit of bias going on. The only difference is I'm not picking your posts appart bit by bit and dissecting the hell out of em. Mwahahaha. Ahem.

------------------
Stop the foolishness...
stop the insanity...

And by the way, Crazypants, you're absolutely right. EA probably won't re-release the games, but I sure as hell will harrass them night and day about it. I'm NOT paying 200-400 bucks...no way...no how.

------------------
Stop the foolishness...
stop the insanity...

I`m with you, KS, in fact I just re-sent my own protest letter again to EA`s marketing division. It may not help, but it does make me feel better.
smile.gif

BTW, people, and this is a purely hypothetical question, what are your thoughts on burning illegal copies of KS, now that it`s no longer available?

Last edited by a moderator:
KilrathiSaga said:
By the by, Kris, do you have KS? Have you played the W95 port of the first wing commander. If you answer no and no, then maybe we've both got a little bit of bias going on. The only difference is I'm not picking your posts appart bit by bit and dissecting the hell out of em. Mwahahaha. Ahem.
I don't dissect your posts to pick them apart bit by bit, but to make it easier to see what I'm replying to. Since you don't apparently don't like that approach, I'll reply differently this time.

1. WC3 Original usually works just fine in Windows and on fast machines. It's only WC1 and 2 that have issues, they're the only reason you could have for getting KS.

2. I've had KS for a long time, and paid a reasonable price for it (about $30 I think). The reason I got it was because I didn't own WC1 and 2 yet, so it was an easy solution. If I had already had WC1 and 2, I still would have gotten it for the box, but not if it meant shelling out $200.

I would buy an illegaly copied KS, but I would get the real deal later if it had a reasonable price. I really prefer my games complete: box, manuals,...

------------------
The time is near.
There are still quite a few days remaining.

I don't care for fame, power or money...
I just want to FIGHT!
-Sanosuke Sagara

I'm not intentionally implying you enjoy picking my posts apart, and it does make it easier to understand where you're coming from, so go right on ahead doing it. Its just a bit odd, thats all. Now, as to the matter of WC3...well, I don't have WC3. If I was to buy a copy, I'd want the W95 port, just because its the newer version. BTW, since you kind of already have KS, I really don't think you should care whether or not I want the game to be released again. I own every WC game except for WC3 (yes, even academy), and although I'm currently content with playing the ones I have that work in Windows, I really would feel more comfortable if I knew I had versions that could "stand the test of time". I'm understand where you're coming from, but you own KS. I don't. You can play the windows port any time you like. I can't. Through the course of my life, I have bought two different DOs versions of WC1 and 2. They released a collection of 1 and 2 some years back and I bought that to replace corrupt copies of the first. So, I'm sure you can understand that the only reason I am currently annoying the hell out of EA is that they released KS during a time when PC's could still run them without serious tweaking. Now that OS are no longer DOS based, it becomes clear that the windows ports are easier to use, not to mention better in sound and music. The only reason I am so determined to get this game is that I fear if I don't, I might not get a second to chance to play these games. Windows ME won't have pure dos support any more... I'm sure you can at least understand this aspect of my...agenda.

------------------
Stop the foolishness...
stop the insanity...

Back