Is Frelancer Privateer ?

U

Unregistered

Oh I just can't wait for the flames on this question. Does Freelancer have anything to do with the WC universe?

I never had any doubts that Privateer 2 was Privateer 2, hence the name :) Just a mix up as if Freelancer was in any way connected with the Wing Commander Universe. But the "No" would tell me it's not. Thanks for a straight foward answer and not a bombardment of flames. Later.

That having been said, I think it is important to note that Chris Roberts, the creator of Privateer, was also the creator of Freelancer. Trent is almost identical to the Privateer character, and my guess is that if it wasn't for Roberts' departure with Origin, it would have been a P3 game.

Unfortunately, in this case Origin (now well and truly EA) own the rights to WC and not Roberts. I say unfortunately because it seems evident to me with the release of Freelancer which of these parties would have had more of an interest in progressing the universe into the next generation of games.

Regards,
Acid.

Acid said:
... my guess is that if it wasn't for Roberts' departure with Origin, it would have been a P3 game.
Thank god Origin scrapped their WC projects, then :p

Twas me who was the Unregistered guy

It is saddening that a game such as Wing Commander could have become an ever-developing game and story. I always wondered the reason for Christ R to depart from WC and I remember there was an article about it. With Freelancer I was always hoping to see a Firekkian Trader off to my left while an old Frathi Mk2 on my right but it will never be. Alas, I believe the WC games that others are trying to create will come short of what others expect of Wing Commander. I was pounded for my own ideas but then again, I did not look ad deeply into the guts of the WC universe as others did. I do believe that some company, down the line, will pick up the Wing Commander story line and publish a new WC6 and beyond. I just hope they play the first 5 games, read the books, and not reinvent the wheel.

For what it's worth, I think the original WC was a great game. Privateer built on that by taking familiar characters and building a completely different game with them, which was even better than the original.

Whether or not the WC universe was worthy of the rolling evolution in gameplay, it is not the first time this sort of thing has has happened. I was subjected to a half hour discussion a year ago between two people debating the connection between the colour of jedi lightsabres and how close they are to the dark side. Personally I was thinking 'it was just a movie'. When people debate WC, I am sure that some are thinking 'it was just a game'.

Freelancer is a great game. So was privateer. I personally think it would be great to see some of the old ships back for sentimental reasons, but I am happy enough playing Freelancer as it stands.

Back