Internet Archive

Wedge009

Rogue Leader
Apologies if this has already been reported but I just noticed the Internet Archive has added some DOS-based Wing Commander games. I haven't tried them, but it's still interesting that they're there.

Hmm, as you say, it's interesting.

I wonder what the legalities are since the titles are for streaming and not download. You'd have thought EA would have something to say about it. Maybe they sought permission first.

I've noticed that a number of older titles are available on that site, many of them are for straight download and I've often thought it seems sketchy.

Well, the legalities are a lot murkier because the Internet Archive is officially classified as a library, so they don't have to actually obtain EA's permission to host it. They do have to respect EA's copyright in that they can "lend" and let people play it (like you can borrow copyrighted works and enjoy them at home) but not download it (i.e., they cannot offer copies of the materials for you).

The ones they offer downloads are generally the ones that they probably obtained permission for or other reason.

There are real librarians who researched the materials deeply and know their stuff who work at the Internet Archive, so we should appreciate and enjoy the fruits of their efforts. It's not some two-bit fly by night company who puts stuff up which will be taken down a week from now.

Unless they have one copy per active player at a time that's a very dubious interpretation of lending (even if they do it's uncharted territory which is a dangerous precedent for modern material).

I tried WC1 for first mission and it's playable. The sound (tried Sound Blaster) isn't that good and it runs a bit slow maybe? (I'm used to my old PC running running WC1 on Dosbox too fast.)

Unless they have one copy per active player at a time that's a very dubious interpretation of lending (even if they do it's uncharted territory which is a dangerous precedent for modern material).
I rather doubt it's as uncharted as we may imagine. We don't know the legalities of it - but they most certainly do. Archive.org is hardly some sort of abandonware site, it's the single biggest archive on the internet. They wouldn't be doing this if it wasn't legal for them - either because it somehow is, or because they've got EA's permission, or whatever.

Back