Intel Update

Sphynx

Commodore
In the heat of combat, knowledge can be the difference between life and death. Each pilot needs to know the capablities and limitations of all of his own equipment, as well as the those of his opponents. What better place to brush up on this vital information before a mission than in the tech room.

Wing Commander Saga features a tech room with information about all of the ships and weapons that the player will encounter, both friend and foe. In addition, the tech room will also serve as a location where new intelligence is shared with the player. Through the WC Saga campaign, new intelligence will become available as the player progresses. Keeping current on the hardware and intelligence in the combat theater will give players an edge in their desperate fight against the Kilrathi.

This week, we are happy to share some pictures of the WC Saga tech room with you:

Where are the missile models from? The guns look pretty good. I'd probably edit a couple of the text entries.

ChrisReid said:
Where are the missile models from? The guns look pretty good. I'd probably edit a couple of the text entries.

The guns look better than the ships! Not that there's anything wrong with how the ships look....

I'll answer what I can and trust my team members to fill in the holes in my knowledge (and perhaps the holes in my head). :)

As to where the missiles come from exactly, I don't know the source material but I think it might have been Tolwyn who made them. I'll let him speak for himself on that. IIRC, they are based conceptually on the WC art that depicts them. Once again, this is me relying on my memory, which is definately clouded by the presence of a newborn in my home.

As for more screens: I think that can be arranged. :) There are more to come soon.

@ ChrisReid: thanks for the feedback. Do you have any specific suggestions for the way the text entries need to be edited, beyond general grammer and such?

As for the overall progress, work is focusing right now on the cutscences, with a lot of minute spit-and-polish, attention to detail sort of things being the main task.

All missions for the prologue are complete. Fine details such as tech room entries, intel entries, and other little things that show an attention to detail are also being worked on.

We are also receiving help from our friends at the Source Code Project who are trying to put together the actual Source Code Build that will be used for the Prologue release. We have had a number of recent bug fixes and feature additions (such as cloaking and some others which we will be announcing soon and which I think you will like). Now the key is just making sure we have a build where everything works all of the time.

We are also getting a lot of positive and useful feedback from some people we have invited to test the prologue for us. It's down to the nitty-gritty stuff now. Anyways, other team members can let you know more, but that's just a snapshot of where we are.

Sphynx said:
@ ChrisReid: thanks for the feedback. Do you have any specific suggestions for the way the text entries need to be edited, beyond general grammer and such?

Most of the text is presented in a technical manner in a technical database, but bits and pieces sound like stylized commentary. That's great for Claw Marks/Victory Streak types of write ups where the information is being told by a character, but I would try to keep the tone more disembodied and technical for this type of presentation.

Missile models are recently modelled by Tolwyn according to our ingame models (which have some less polygons than these renders). We tried to stick very close to the look that was seen in the WC3 loadout screen

Starman

@ ChrisReid,

Good point. It would be more consistent to keep things all in the same "voice," as it were, in this case a more mechanical and technical voice. Thanks for the input.

ChrisReid said:
Most of the text is presented in a technical manner in a technical database, but bits and pieces sound like stylized commentary. That's great for Claw Marks/Victory Streak types of write ups where the information is being told by a character, but I would try to keep the tone more disembodied and technical for this type of presentation.

A quick suggestion: In the first sentence of the Javelin HS description, I'd consider changing, "...the late 1900s." to "...the late 20th century." Most would interpret the former to mean the period from 1905-09.

WWI biplanes equipped with air-to-air missiles...maybe Origin should have made an expansion pack for Wings of Glory with that feature...

A quick suggestion: In the first sentence of the Javelin HS description, I'd consider changing, "...the late 1900s." to "...the late 20th century." Most would interpret the former to mean the period from 1905-09.

The missile and gun writeups - this section included - are primarily from Victory Streak/the Kilrathi Saga manual. Be sure and credit the proper writers, people.

WWI biplanes equipped with air-to-air missiles...maybe Origin should have made an expansion pack for Wings of Glory with that feature...

Origin actually did release a 'fly like jets' patch for Wings of Glory.

Cardinal said:
I'd consider changing, "...the late 1900s." to "...the late 20th century." Most would interpret the former to mean the period from 1905-09.

I don't think people would be confused by that. "Late 1900s" is a common term that refers to the later portions of the 20th Century.

Why can't laser turrets shoot down a torpedo? Bombing runs are all the more challenging and fun when balancing the danger of your bomber getting too close to the target with firing the torpedo from too far away and having it not get through point defense.

LOAF,

You are absolutely correct about the sources, and I just wanted to reassure everyone that we will be giving proper credit where credit is due. We just haven't done it within the tech room, but I think in the manuals we are making we can make a reference explaining which materials were taken directly from Origin materials.

Back