Install Problem

U

Unregistered

Ok i have standoff episode 1 installed and working , only problem is when i try to install episode 2 it says that the prologue isn't installed which isn't true.
Im guessing that i have got missing registry entries because the installer isn't working , that and i did a clean windows install a few months back so any information written by the epsisode 1 installer isn't there. and i dont have the episode 1 installer anymore. So could someone be so kind as to tell me which entrys i need for the game to install.

Id rather not download episode 1&2 again when i already have 2.

Once installed, Secret Ops's folder must never be renamed, copied or moved. I suspect this is what you've done here.

Standoff installer will look for the folder where Secret Ops (SO) was installed in the registry. If the registry key does not exist, SO is not installed and so Standoff's installer will tell you that SO is not installed. It's obviously not the case here as you said the error message said that Standoff Episode 1 is not installed.

If the Standoff Episode 2 installer found the registry key containing the name of the SO folder, it then checks if Episode 1 is installed there.

So in short, your problem could be one of these three:
  1. Standoff Episode 1 is not installed. You said you clean-installed Windows but don't have the episode 1 installer ?
  2. Secret Ops is not correctly installed. You cannot just take a copy of SO's folder and bring it back on your HD after you've reinstalled Windows; SO needs the registry keys it wrote at install time to run. So does Standoff's install.
  3. You moved, renamed, or copied SO's folder. Once installed, SO's folde must not be copied, moved or renamed.

The easiest solution is to reinstall Secret Ops (not restore a copy), and then reinstall Standoff's Episode 1 and 2. If you know how to edit the registry, you could alternatively just edit Secret Ops's "Installed to:" registry key to match the actual folder where SO is, and make sure that it's also where your Standoff files are.

And lastly, please register to this board. It' free, and we like knowing who we're talking to, especially when it's time to reply. And please report back here to let us know if you solved your problem and how.

ok i registered :)

well let me explain, i have secret ops installed and it works , i have UE installed and it works i have standoff episode 1 installed and it works. The registry entries for

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Origin Systems\Wing Commander Secret Ops]

are all intact and correct however the episode2 installer is not detecting episode1 being installed "Please install standoffs prologue package are try again" at all even though the files are in the secret ops folder and i can run episode 1 without problems.

Im guessing that the episode2 installer is looking for some registry entry created by the episode1 installer that are missing. Now the easy fix would be to just reinstall episode1 and then episode2 but i dont have the episode1 installer and i cant find it on the standoff site anymore. It seems to have been replaced by a combined episode1&2 larger installer.
I could just download this but as my current speeds are limited to 56k that would take some time.

Thus what registry keys are created when episode1 is installed?

I made the Standoff installers. I didn't have it write any registry key for the install. All the Episode 2 installer checks is:

• Does SO's "Installed to:" registry key exists ?
  • Is "stan__e1.tre" located in the folder referenced by the "Installed to:" registry key ?

That's why I said you must have a problem with the registry key itself, or you moved/renamed/copied the SO folder.

You'd be the first person to have a problem with the installer.

What's the version of Windows you're running ?

I could also suggest that you rename "stan__e1.tre" to all lowercase, just in case.

If it doesn't work, I'd suggest that you copy-paste the path to SO's folder from the explorer address bar into the "Installed to:" registry value, just to be sure there isn't some typo there, or an extra space etc.

Ok, when I got home I checked the install script; looking at it I realised that the final version of the installer I compiled used an old check from a previous version of my install script. The release version looks for "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\Standoff Launcher.exe" and wants it to exist.

Sorry I was wrong in my previous posts. :eek: Just manually create the registry key, or you can use the attached .reg file, just rename the file to remove the ".txt" extention and add it to registry. Episode 2 will then install.

Attachments

• Standoff_app_path.reg.txt
    394 bytes · Views: 98
Back