Information request: WC 1

Zim

Spaceman
Hi, Here's Zim again...

can any of you supply me with a crew list of a BSC like Tiger's Claw, like, how much fighters, pilots, engineers, techs, etc. For my RPG it is important to keep it as realistic as possible (I think)

TIA,

Sergeant Zim

(heh, got promoted to sergeant in the Star Wars RPG :D )

A 625 metre Bengal carries 104 fighters (therefore 104 pilots), 50 marines, and has a total crew complement of 550 (including the pilots and marines).

TC

I'm confused about what you're agreeing with... it's out of the Confed Handbook

TC

[Edited by TC on 07-22-2001 at 15:53]

Hey Zim, tell those SW RPG people you got an old 26er, watching your back for chickens during those very easy jobs. Someone actually might get it. ^^

Originally posted by TC
A 625 metre Bengal carries 104 fighters (therefore 104 pilots), 50 marines, and has a total crew complement of 550 (including the pilots and marines).

TC

Only 104 pilots? Isn't that a bit too low, considering that all fighters might be needed on a full alert, and if there are a few pilots that are sick, there will be capacity problems...

Greetings Michael

Originally posted by Supdon3
Usually there are less pilots than there are fighters.

That is interesting. Does this also apply for today's aircraft carriers? Even though this cannot be compared completely, if we take Airlines today, they have 6-9 crews per airplane.

Pilots take time to be trained, while fighters can be shipped in easily and definitly in a war time economy, there are many more ready to go or being built than there are pilots being churned out of flight school.

Plus in the event of a full scramble and every pilot is able to fly, then you'd have pilots sitting aboard ship doing nothing if there were more pilots than planes.

[Edited by Supdon3 on 07-22-2001 at 18:47]

Originally posted by Supdon3
Pilots take time to be trained, while fighters can be shipped in easily and definitly in a war time economy, there are many more ready to go or being built than there are pilots being churned out of flight school.

Plus in the event of a full scramble and every pilot is able to fly, then you'd have pilots sitting aboard ship doing nothing if there were more pilots than planes.

[Edited by Supdon3 on 07-22-2001 at 18:47]

Well yes, your arguments are reasonable... how is the pilot/fighter ratio on bigger carriers like the midway?

I'd venture that the casulty ratio depends on the timeline. When during the war are you talking about? WC: P the death ratio was low, low, low compared to the middle of the Kilrathi War.

Id venture to say that with the MIdway, they have enough pilots to go around and as its a volunteer army, they would be turning pilots away. But if they got to the point where they were at the end of the war, they wouldnt have been working at full capacity cause they wouldnt be able to replace pilots fast enough. They would be able to get enough fighters, butnot enough pilots to fly them. Worse on a Vesuvius class carrier with 150 more fighters to fill.

number of pilots on carriers

I am not saying anyones figures about the number of crew on a carrier are not accurate cause i am sure they are 100% but doesn't that seem like a really small crew for an aircraft carrier only 550!!!!!! I mean modern day carriers have something like 3000-5000 people on them. Each plane has its own ordnance crew plus pilot rio and what have you. Plus the cooks and support personal and you have to remember you need like 3 shifts of people and a good damage control and firefighting contingent at that. I know this is the future and all but sheesh 550 people to support one carrier with 104 fighters seems awfully low to me.

For one thing, lots of systems are now automated. Another thing, they just cant support that many people on board a starship. They have to have so much room for things like life support systems, weapons systems, supplies storage and the like that there isnt enough room to house all those people. Modern day aircraft carriers dont have to supply the air for them to breathe. As well as taxing the life support systems to much. That many people would probably be to much for it to handle.

Re: number of pilots on carriers

Originally posted by Raven0215
I am not saying anyones figures about the number of crew on a carrier are not accurate cause i am sure they are 100% but doesn't that seem like a really small crew for an aircraft carrier only 550!!!!!! I mean modern day carriers have something like 3000-5000 people on them. Each plane has its own ordnance crew plus pilot rio and what have you. Plus the cooks and support personal and you have to remember you need like 3 shifts of people and a good damage control and firefighting contingent at that. I know this is the future and all but sheesh 550 people to support one carrier with 104 fighters seems awfully low to me.

Well no for me , like you said is the furute, you don't need ppl to cook your food, computer can create it, like Star trek, I know Star trek and WC are totally diferent thing but I think the food can be supply on Wc in that way, if you notice on WCP they got a self service bar, so there no need of bartenders.

No human food service, less personel... well this is just an idea i could be wrong

The Midway has been the first carrier weve seen so far that doesnt have a bartender so thats not saying much, but otherwise automated food services would seem to be right.

I am not gonna argue with wing commander cannon cause i know there are a ton of factors that i am sure i can't account for for such small crews but modern day boomers(nuclear missile submarines) like the typhoon support over 100 crew and those ships never ever surface except in port and it has to supply all of the ships air and if it wasn't for the ship running out of food it could support the crew for well over a year. Well just my 2 cents but i guess if its cannon its cannon even if it does have to do with that movie ugh

In the WCATV they showed sickbay several times onboard the Claw.

Your right, those kinds of facilities would take up space. So would grav ball courts and swimming pools too:)

Back