Impressions and Opinions

Penta2

Spaceman
OK...I just downloaded and started playing this neat remake yesterday.

For the record, I play on a P4/2Ghz with WinXP Pro, a GeForce 4 TI4200, 512MB RAM. I'm still working in a Tarsus, just got jump drive.

My philosophy with remakes is: "If the developer had the same idea as w/ the original, but had modern technology, modern coding techniques, modern hardware, modern graphics, etc., how would it turn out?"

With that in mind....

First off: I like the new features, new fixers, etc.

I quibble re cloaking devices, which don't seem to fit at this point in the WC timeline.

However, I LOVE THE TURRET AI!

Finally, turrets are useful!

Second: The asteroids, while I realize they are constrained by limitations of the VegaStrike engine, are at present not challenging, just frustrating. Particularly asteroids around bases make life hell.

Third: I never remember Talons being so hard to kill...Then again, it's been a while.

Fourth: This game is very addictive. Bad when one is at, say, college. Could we get something in game that brings up a message when a time is reached (or a time limit expires) based off the system clock?:)

Fifth: I like the news. It brings up ideas. That I just wish were implemented, like newly colonized and growing bases/planets during the game.

Sixth: We can have multiple ships at once? I never saw that in the remake manual...

I should add something, too.

When I load the program, it makes my screen go very funky for a minute...Then it loads up the game. Why?

Also, could we please change the options from w/in the game?

Penta2 said:
When I load the program, it makes my screen go very funky for a minute...Then it loads up the game. Why?
I was going to answer this, but then I thought better of it ;-)

Read the "sticky" msg about loading grfx.

Penta2 said:
Sixth: We can have multiple ships at once? I never saw that in the remake manual...
I am 99.9% sure that is in the Remake manual. But even if it's not, yes, you can have multiple ships. :)

Penta2 said:
Third: I never remember Talons being so hard to kill...Then again, it's been a while.

Talons hard to kill? And you're using final version 1.0? IMO they are noticeably easier to kill now than in 1.0pre5... I think they are Too easy now ;-)

Depends how much you suck at it.

It also doesn't help when you're trying to control the game with the mouse and keyboard. That combo only works for an FPS!

Going to buy a joystick now, just for this game...

IMO, I think we need to stick to the old way of doing menus and things. While I appreciate it's not so easy right now, when we get the high-res bases and ship dealers and stuff in, I'd like to see it go back to the old days of having the things on the screens rather than in a funky list thing where you can seemingly do everything.

Also, the PAD. Need the PAD back! It's not like we don't see it when we press P in-flight... surely we could just make it look more up to date (and less like a child's learn-to-spell machine)? :)

That's worth noting. I don't have a joystick. Vs 12 years ago, they seem less common generally, too. I doubt most would have them.

You doubt most people have joysticks?

I don't see why. This is a game that simulates flying. Therefore, a joystick is necessary to play as intended, IMO.

Space shooters have fallen down and out in recent years. Freelancer was the last one to come out that I can remember playing, and guess what, no joystick support.

Majority of people I know don't have joysticks anymore.

I still have mine though, and good god does this remake own my leisure time now.

A little buggy in places, but hell, Privateer was like that anyway.

Good stuff. Lovin every minute.

I just wish I could get my Logitech Extreme Digital 3D to work properly in OS X without emulating keyboard commands via USB Overdrive (which doesn't work properly for buttons 2, 4 and 5 for some reason, and doesn't work with the throttle at all.)

the only solid advice I can give you is install OS X 10.2 on a partition of your hard drive--call it your gaming partition--that's what I've done
not sure why apple broke joysticks in 10.3

Back