im new here and ive got a question

d3r3k

Spaceman
hello to everyone. im derek.

im really fascinated by the wing commander series and ive been lurking here for a bit .

my question is where can i find a copy of the kilrathi saga without paying an arm and a leg? ive seen auctions for it on ebay go into the hundreds. dont get me wrong, i love wc, but i dont have cash to throw away like that.

Buying the component parts separately is very cheap if you can't afford Kilrathi Saga. However, even for hundreds of dollars KS is a good deal. You're paying pennies per hour of enjoyment you'll get from it. But if you don't have the money now, WC1 Deluxe, WC2 Deluxe and WC3 can go as low as a few dollars and all can be run on modern systems via a combination of old hardware, dosbox or the Crius tech support forum. On top of that, KS is only a limited portion of the WC universe. There is far more to it than that, and you can get most of it for reasonable prices. Start with half.com and check ebay.com

I had only played Wing Commander 1 originally before I got the Kilrathi Saga, I can tell you now, I prefer the original Wing Commander 1 more. Even though there is a new sound track and sounds, I still like the older one.
It's all context.

ChrisReid said:
However, even for hundreds of dollars KS is a good deal. You're paying pennies per hour of enjoyment you'll get from it.

Sounds like someone who got it when it came out at a cheap price of <$50
:rolleyes:

Jim

I agree that it isn't worth the $150+ that it is going for on ebay. You would be much better off buying an old 486 or even 386 computer and playing the original DOS CD Deluxe versions. It would probably save you about $100. The fact that there was a limited run of them makes them more of a collector's item and has inflated the prices above what it should be (in my opinion). It isn't like the game was THAT enhanced. Now if they made it like 800x600 resolution with 3D then I could understand.

I support buying the original games over Kilrathi Saga. It's really only nessessary to drop $130+ on it if you're collecting all the games like some people are.

Erkle said:
Sounds like someone who got it when it came out at a cheap price of <$50
:rolleyes:

Yeah, my first copy. I bought the one we gave away at the last CIC Birthday Party on eBay however.

There are freeware DOS emulators that will help you run the original versions if you have them.

And there is oodles of technical help for it on the tech support forum here in the WC Chat Zone.
We have nailed most of the best configs for playing each WC game in DosBox and win9X machines.

Using the dos box program Wing Commander 1 and 2 work fine. I've played both in Windows without any problems.

Back