Im back and it's Armada Time! Sunday Jan11th 7pm EST (UDT -5h)

wcnut

Rear Admiral
Hey I'm back in business. My controls have been wonky for a while, and for the life of me, I couldn't figure it out to the point were I simply had to reinstall. It all works now. For those of you who don't have armada installed and working via Dos Box here are directions that I posted in an earlier thread.

Directions

1.Download dosbox .72 (Best to use a frontend like DFend as it makes configuration A LOT easier.)

2. Install Armada in a folder (preferably in a folder in your dosbox folder though It doesn't matter) and install joystick with thrustmaster. (I have discovered that if you use it without thrustmaster the joystick becomes rather wonky)

4. To play Internet with Armada, Download netbios_binary.zip from the first post on this thread, and place NETBIOS.exe and dll files directly in your dosbox folder. (DO NOT copy dosbox.exe from this folder as it is older and unneeded.)
(Note: PG does not need NetBios.exe)

5. If you want to host, you need to configure your router to forward port 213. It differs from router to router so If you don't know how to do it, I'd check your user's manual.

6. In your dosbox.conf file, set: core=dynamic, cycles=10000, joysticktype=fcs (This actually enables Thrustmaster emulation in Dosbox), timed=flase, ipx=true, and anything else you might desire.

(timed=false is important, as your joystick gets a little wonky with it. Armada.exe and pg.exe doesn't like it if it is set true and cycles=max, which is what generally happens when cycles is set to auto) (HCl's wonderful but ancient patched EXE is no longer needed with Dosbox .72. Seriously, don't need it don't use it!)

7. On the very bottom of the dosbox.conf file, (after [autoexe]) or in dosbox itself type... (* = only needed for armada.conf not pg.conf)
mount c [Armada folder dir]
mount b [Dosbox folder dir]*
ipxnet startserver 213 (your forwarded port) OR ipxnet connect [IP adress] (Depending if you are client or host, and the host must be up first as it must connect BEFORE netbios is launched as netbios will change the ip otherwise!)
b:*
NetBios.exe*
c:
armada.exe or pg.exe
exit (not needed but is good to be put in conf files as it saves you the hassle of closing dosbox when quitting)

That's it, start dosbox!

Be sure to press alt-O to calibrate your joystick

It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to have it at the same time. You might get a few more players that way.

Saturday would be a better day for me if possible, as it would be around midnight here at that time and I would be dead for work monday morning. I'll be up for a few games!

hey If i'm around at 4 EST I'll be there. Thus far it has been with you Europeans that I have been playing with the most. It"ll be fun despite the lag. But who knows, we can play around with it.

Its looking as if i won't be able to make it at four. I'll get on as soon as I can. hopefully you all will still be there.

We're shooting for Sunday. I'll be leaving Saturday and coming back Sunday night, so you may have to start without me. :(

2. Install Armada in a folder (preferably in a folder in your dosbox folder though It doesn't matter) and install joystick with thrustmaster. (I have discovered that if you use it without thrustmaster the joystick becomes rather wonky)

4. To play Internet with Armada, Download netbios_binary.zip from the first post on this thread, and place NETBIOS.exe and dll files directly in your dosbox folder. (DO NOT copy dosbox.exe from this folder as it is older and unneeded.)

What's step 3? :)

6. In your dosbox.conf file, set: core=dynamic, cycles=10000, joysticktype=fcs (This actually enables Thrustmaster emulation in Dosbox), timed=flase, ipx=true, and anything else you might desire.

Have you noticed an improvement using dynamic core instead of normal core?

It's certainly an improvement for people who do not have the latest 'bleeding edge' computer hardware like me :)

The times where the dynamic core was less stable than the others are luckily over.

It's certainly an improvement for people who do not have the latest 'bleeding edge' computer hardware like me :)

The times where the dynamic core was less stable than the others are luckily over.

That's what I was concerned with. But at the same time, Armada should run pretty smoothly on any five year old computer too.

What's step 3? :)

Haha, I must have edited that thing a 100 times and not once noticed that!

There is no step 3 if you add a 1 you get 13 and you know how builders always skip that floor.

Yeah Dynamic is an improvement on my comp, at least, which is a Mac Book Pro from a couple of years ago.

Note: Cycles=45000 works very well if you're computer can handle it. In fact i suggest you use it as it makes things allot smoother for internet play with a lot of objects.

Also, please keep in mind that you'll propably need Hamachi in order to play Armada Online and that you'll have to enter the Host's Hamachi IP, not the normal one.

Back