I just found a way out to play WCP on Windows 11 !

Doc79

Spaceman
finally i got it to run, if someone wants to play WCP on windows 11 u have to select the "software" renderer as the graphic card in the settings, after starting laucher.exe. not opengl not glide/3dfx
for launcher.exe and prohexy.exe i selected compatibility mode for windows XP with SP 3 + run as admistrator

just to let u know, have fun :))

I am glad that the software renderer works well for you, but it just... doesn't look as good as when using Glide or some other 3D-accelerated renderer. If someone is willing to make that tradeoff, though, it's a pretty simple solution!

u are right, all that nice 3d card accelerations effects that were hitting hard at that time (remembering my 3dfx moster card;)) are not available with this solution. i am trying to ramp the graphics up with installing some of the patches..hope they are working together with the software renderer

ok have another issue which makes it unplayable. when using the software renderer i see a black square in the middle of the cockpit. right at the spot where the crosshair is. so aiming is impossible.

i managed to get it to start with the opengl patch. the solution was to turn off all graphic enhancments in the openGL settings in launcher.exe (max anisotropy = 0 FSAA = 0, HDR effect, enhancing lighting turned off)
then the the game will start, the movies work fine, i could even start the combat simulator. but when entering space it crashes to the desktop again.

i found another possible reason for the problem on the internet. older games seems not to have full access on modern video card memory. they can access only a very small amount so when the old games crash to windows, its because of running out of the video memory
that explains why they run better when turning off all the enhancements, reduce resolutions etc...

i tried to make it run for almost 3 days now
i officially give up :((((

Last edited:
Back