I blame Chris Reid for this.....

Mindcrime

Commodore
image.jpeg image.jpeg Lol. Just came in today.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Also, there are six discs in the wc4 package which is correct. But i always wondered why there was a 7th slot that is empty. Anyone know what the purpose was?

Also, there are six discs in the wc4 package which is correct. But i always wondered why there was a 7th slot that is empty. Anyone know what the purpose was?
For the seventh disc, of course. Have you never heard of the seventh disc? :)

I wasn't active online when the game first came out, but apparently many, many people asked the same question you did. Eventually, somebody made up a story about their copy of WC4 including an actual seventh disc, which allowed players to continue the game without ever defecting to the Border Worlds. I'm sure if you google for WC4 seventh disc/CD, you'll find something eventually :). But of course, it's all a myth. I don't think anybody from Origin has ever explained the presence of the seventh slot, but I think we can guess quite safely - probably, when the boxes were ordered, the game was still being optimised in terms of space usage, and there was a possibility that the game would end up being shipped on seven discs.

I later interpreted the seventh sleeve as reserved for the dual-sided DVD. Worked fine for a time, till I got nervous about it and gave it its own case.

Those manuals are in pretty good shape!

I would think Quarto is right concerning the package - there is a considerable lead time on those types of items. Also, for the copies of the game with the Blair or Tolwyn CCG promo card, were these tucked into the extra sleeve slot?

Hahahaha seeing this made me remember I did the exact same thing about 3 years ago, I used to own all the big boxes for WC3 & 4 (4 was the first big box game I bought myself, followed by 3). But that was the 90s and I've moved out and around a lot since, so when I saw someone selling them on eBay I had to get them again, so glad I did, love having the boxed versions with the CDs and manuals.

Good choice!!!

Love those big old game boxes :D. Gotta ton of them in the attic. I remember being dissappointed when the trend went towards DVD folders but I must admit (today that is) it proved to be darn more practical to store them than the old boxes.

Afrim Kosovrasti said:
Mine doesnt have ccg promo card Chris Reid. What is it? And awesome ginger. Lol

A limited number of the first run of Wing Commander IV (one in ten) came with a single, random card from the Wing Commander customizable card game. An even more limited number (roughly one in one hundred boxes) came with a rare Admiral Tolwyn promo card that wasn't available in card packs. The problem with this promotion was that it wasn't advertised anywhere and there was no written material in the box explaining what the cards were in the first place!

FredDude32 said:
Love those big old game boxes :D. Gotta ton of them in the attic. I remember being dissappointed when the trend went towards DVD folders but I must admit (today that is) it proved to be darn more practical to store them than the old boxes.

Yeah! Although sadly by Wing Commander IV the larger boxes were a bit disappointing... no huge manual or feelies (or big heavy diskettes!) to take up the extra space.

These days, a standard DVD case even seems huge! I cheer when I get to replace them with blu-ray cases or slim-packs...

A limited number of the first run of Wing Commander IV (one in ten) came with a single, random card from the Wing Commander customizable card game. An even more limited number (roughly one in one hundred boxes) came with a rare Admiral Tolwyn promo card that wasn't available in card packs. The problem with this promotion was that it wasn't advertised anywhere and there was no written material in the box explaining what the cards were in the first place!
Dammit Ben! Now I want those cards lol. Thanks for the info though good buddy.

Yeah! Although sadly by Wing Commander IV the larger boxes were a bit disappointing... no huge manual or feelies (or big heavy diskettes!) to take up the extra space.

These days, a standard DVD case even seems huge! I cheer when I get to replace them with blu-ray cases or slim-packs...
Yeah. The WC3 box was more packed than the WC4 box for sure. I'm really tempted to buy a WC1 box now. Also the Privateer one. Is the WC2 box any good? I never owned WC2 until Kilrathi Saga so i dunno what's in that.

Dammit Ben! Now I want those cards lol. Thanks for the info though good buddy.

If you'd at least like to see what those promo cards look like, I included them in the CCG VASSAL mod. They're the two labeled in the Draft menu as "Promo" cards - Blair under Confederation Pilots, Tolwyn under Confederation Crew.

And, of course, I'm still looking for opponents.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread...

Yeah. The WC3 box was more packed than the WC4 box for sure. I'm really tempted to buy a WC1 box now. Also the Privateer one. Is the WC2 box any good? I never owned WC2 until Kilrathi Saga so i dunno what's in that.

They're all good, but WC2 was on the lighter side like WC4. The game itself came on a lot of disks, but the highlight of the documentation included was mainly a booklet of Joan's Fighting Spacecraft.

If you'd at least like to see what those promo cards look like, I included them in the CCG VASSAL mod. They're the two labeled in the Draft menu as "Promo" cards - Blair under Confederation Pilots, Tolwyn under Confederation Crew.

And, of course, I'm still looking for opponents.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread...
Thanks for that Capi!

They're all good, but WC2 was on the lighter side like WC4. The game itself came on a lot of disks, but the highlight of the documentation included was mainly a booklet of Joan's Fighting Spacecraft.
Good to know, how about the Privateer box? I noticed there are many variations of this one. Any tips?

Privateer is also average. You get your stats and info and some intro story in the manual.

Yeah... in this regard, WC2 was arguably the only game to be genuinely improved in Kilrathi Saga, with the "personal scrapbook" incorporating new materials related to WC2 and End Run.

Yeah... in this regard, WC2 was arguably the only game to be genuinely improved in Kilrathi Saga, with the "personal scrapbook" incorporating new materials related to WC2 and End Run.
I would love to get my hands back on the kilrathi saga package. I can't believe i lost it during one of my early moves. That was so cool. Looks like next on my list is WC1 then. Gotta see all that stuff in person. I actually never owned the box. I played WC1 on Snes as a kid and thats what got me introduced to WC. I only replayed as part of Kilrathi saga. Had no idea how much cool stuff was given in the box til i saw Ben opening a sealed box during the live stream. They are pricey though....maybe a christmas present idea? Lol

Back