Huzzah!

Now to turn this into an actually useful thread, can someone give me pointers on how to use the Sabre in the gaunlet. Any help will be appreciated.:)

... Sorry for Triple post.

For future reference, as long as you are within two hours of your last post, you should just be able to hit the edit button to add anything that you may have forgot or had thought of after - including fixing typos and such.

can't dumbfire torps...

Also, for the love of god, PLEASE add an ability to dumb(ass) fire Torpedos.Sorry for Triple post.

I too, wish that torpedoes could be dumbfired. But I think the canon requires the long lock time b/c that's how long it takes for the torpedo seeker/warhead to evaluate and defeat the capital ship's phase shielding. With that understanding, a dumbfired torp would be just as ineffective against a phase shielded ship than any other fighter mounted weapon.

That's not to say that I think dumbfired torps would be useless, though. I'd happily dumbfire a torp into a sitting duck target, like a Grikath or Jalkehi, if I were sure there were no worthy capital ships in the engagement zone. Hardass Reismann would probably take me to town on such an inefficient use of ordnance, though.

I figured Reismann would go ape**** over the loss of torps. Speaking of which, do CVEs have torp lanchers?

I too, wish that torpedoes could be dumbfired. But I think the canon requires the long lock time b/c that's how long it takes for the torpedo seeker/warhead to evaluate and defeat the capital ship's phase shielding. With that understanding, a dumbfired torp would be just as ineffective against a phase shielded ship than any other fighter mounted weapon.

That's not to say that I think dumbfired torps would be useless, though. I'd happily dumbfire a torp into a sitting duck target, like a Grikath or Jalkehi, if I were sure there were no worthy capital ships in the engagement zone. Hardass Reismann would probably take me to town on such an inefficient use of ordnance, though.

Only sort of. Realistically, torps are useless against fighters because of their slow speed. A fighter can easily outrun and outmanoever one except in the luckiest of circumstances.

However, torpedoes can be dumbfired in privateer, so it isn't some kind of continuity issue.

The torpedoes in Privateer seem to work on a different principle. In fact, we don't actually know if they'd be able to do anything against a capship bigger than the Kamekhs we encounter in Privateer. So, for all we know, they could be nothing more than glorified dumbfires.

Anyway, at this point it would be fairly easy for us to rig up a torpedo dumb-firing option (we're literally talking about ten minutes of work, though it would have to be done for every mission separately, which would take... a little longer). We won't do it, however - it wouldn't make sense to only give the player this option in some missions and not in others (and this would be a necessity - after all, we can't very well provide this option in capship missions). In addition, allowing this would mean letting you all in on one of Prophecy's dirty little secrets - that missiles always have missile lock :p. If I force the game to fire a torpedo, it won't actually fly straight as a dumbfire, but instead it will turn towards a locked target. I seem to recall that in some WC games, you could fire missiles with only a partial lock, in which case they would actually act as though they weren't properly locked on - that's not the case in Prophecy, however. The reason Prophecy doesn't let you fire a missile before you acquire lock is because the missile already has acquired lock. So, as you can see, we really can't let you fire torpedoes whenever you feel like it, that would be simply unfair :).

As for using the Sabre in the gauntlet... I must say, I too would love to know how you're actually supposed to fly this ungainly creature in the gauntlets :p. Sadly, it's one of those ships that get the short end of the stick when it comes to scaling fighters properly - it was a powerful ship in WC2, but now it's got a lot in common with the Bearcat. Still, it's not completely useless... it's a better fighter than the Gladius, certainly, and in its fighter loadout (which you don't see in the sim, because the sim only allows us one loadout per ship - so we chose to make the Sabre useful in the capship missions by giving it the bomber loadout), it actually carries quite a lot of ordnance. I don't feel quite as comfortable in it as I do in the Rapier, but it's still a very powerful ship.

has
As for using the Sabre in the gauntlet... I must say, I too would love to know how you're actually supposed to fly this ungainly creature in the gauntlets :p. Sadly, it's one of those ships that get the short end of the stick when it comes to scaling fighters properly - it was a powerful ship in WC2, but now it's got a lot in common with the Bearcat. Still, it's not completely useless... it's a better fighter than the Gladius, certainly, and in its fighter loadout (which you don't see in the sim, because the sim only allows us one loadout per ship - so we chose to make the Sabre useful in the capship missions by giving it the bomber loadout), it actually carries quite a lot of ordnance. I don't feel quite as comfortable in it as I do in the Rapier, but it's still a very powerful ship.

First off, I never knew that missles already had longs in Propecy, thanks for the info. Secondly, not a doubt in hell, I mean, Taylorsville, Utah, That a Gladius is better than the Sabre, for sure. Still, the Sabre is hards to fly in the Gauntlet. Besides, I suck ass at the gaultet.(Only beat it in the OMGWTF pwnage Wraith, though I swear to god, I came so close in the Rapier II and the Epee.:( ) Also, the reason I asked for dumb(ass) fire torpedos, is because I Usually get screwed over in the Sabre and Broadsword, once I run out of missles. (Also, I am really horrible in the Broadsword. Someone please explain just how the hell people can beat any gauntlet in the Broadsword. ( No, I dont subscribe to the WC2 stratagy guide in GAMEFAQs, callling the broadsword the worst craft proves he dosent know shit about WC2 fighters.)

Dart 4 DF is essientially a light torpedo, in fact it can destroy Confed capships like a light torp...though it doesn't work with Nep ships... and I think in UE it doesn't work on kilrathi capships. Still great piece of equipment on corvettes though.

However, torpedoes can be dumbfired in privateer, so it isn't some kind of continuity issue.

And Wing Commander Arena.

The torpedoes in Privateer seem to work on a different principle. In fact, we don't actually know if they'd be able to do anything against a capship bigger than the Kamekhs we encounter in Privateer. So, for all we know, they could be nothing more than glorified dumbfires.

Which may also apply to the torpedoes in Arena.

Back